A day in the Golden Circle


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
February 25th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 64.9631, -19.0208

It's very quiet here! Started day with a healthy breakfast before heading for Thingvellir National Park. Thingvellir is where everything 'Iceland' began such as the laws, religion and social structure. Lovely views, frozen lake, cute church, rugged landscape and really windy. Met some scuba divers in the car park (are they crazy? Do they know how cold the water is likely to be?) Area is now a UNESCO world heritage site. We then went to Geysir where we saw steam venting out of the earth, the geysers (one sent hot water in to the air every 10 minutes) and we visited the gift shop selling traditional Icelandic produce (lots of Woolley Pulleys and Tim bought his first Icelandic pin badge) We had Icelandic (lamb) soup for lunch and then drove 10k to Gullfoss on a deserted road to the most impressive waterfall (a mini Niagra) We didn't stay long as we couldn't stand upright in the strong and bitterly cold wind. We took the token photos and went on our way through a small town called Fludir before winding our way back to the hotel for a much needed cuppa! Overcast so no chance of seeing the lights sadly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Gullfoss WaterfallGullfoss Waterfall
Gullfoss Waterfall

A really cold and windy place!


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb