Fjords, fjords, fjords


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Akureyri
June 19th 2016
Published: June 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today we went with our bodies as to the flow of the day for eating and all else. Amazingly it was quite warm and comfortable this morning. I was fine walking around in jeans and a thin long sleeve shirt.

Our journey took us north of Dalvik into the fjords and tunnels.

Just before the first tunnel we were able to see Grimsey Island north off the coast. Grimsey is located on the Arctic Circle.

In the first tunnel there was only one lane for traffic for over 4 km. Basically the traffic coming at us had the right of way. Our side had pull outs every 1/4-1/3 of a km. The pullouts were large enough to hold three cars.

That tunnel opened into the small town or OLadsfjordur. Just past the town we entered the second tunnel which popped out into a smaller fjord with a stopping area to eat and watch birds. Then into a third tunnel of about 7km. Afterwards we saw a beautiful view of Siglufjordur town and fjord. This fjord had Avalanche fences on top to keep the snow from sliding into town.

After wandering around town a bit and noticing the sunbathers at the campground we found the tourist information center. The center was located in the public library. Suddenly we lost Emma and Noah to the books and magazines. Sam was enthralled by the typewriter and stamps. The library housed displays of local items in cases and on tables around the library. One book was pointed out to us by the librarian - a 1666 book containing poetry and psalms by HallgrĂ­mur PĂ©tursson. She had found it when cleaning boxes in the storage room. It seems someone in town owned it and many other books. That person died and gave them to the library. Then the boxes were put away.

The librarian recommended that we visit the Herring Museum. Which on first contemplation I thought - really, visit a fish museum? But oh I couldn't have been more wrong!! What a museum!!! In the states everything is cordoned off and unaccessible to the patrons. This museum was so open and inviting to ALL ages. Even Sam (6) was interested. He even explained the herring industry map to his Grandma and his sister! The first building was an old office and women's quarters area. The rooms looked like the people had just walked away after work that day - dishes in the sink, pantyhose hanging in the attic eves. So amazing!! Plus we were able to walk completely into every room and space - it felt like we were there.

The next building housed the engineering and equipment. It held the kids attention for a bit and then it was time to move on. Emma commented that she would have liked the chemistry jobs that made sure the fish processing had the right balance.

The last building we entered was the shipyard replica. Truly it looked like we were walking on the dock and the ships were moored next to us. The boys were fascinated by the story and ship belonging to a local man who was very devout and preached on the town square every day. He also gave his fishing money away to children's ministries around the world. The other boat of interest was the huge fishing boat. The kids were able to walk all over the boat including climbing down into the hold for fish storage.

After about 2 hours we moved over to the Folk Music Museum for Mike. The kids played on the seesaw and tire swings and ate lunch while Mike investigated the music. One instrument looked similar to the Appalachian dulcimer but it was played with a bow similar to a violin. This museum didn't capture the kids interest as much but it was nicely done for someone with a musical interest.

We now traveled back to Sela. We were planning on swimming. However by the time we put groceries away and got everyone moving the pool had closed 30 minutes earlier. So... Plan B - go back to Sela and swim in the fjord at the black sand beach. The sand warmed the water a bit and the kids played for about 30 -45 minutes before announcing they were cold. From there they wandered back to the waterfall area. This was all done by traversing pasture fields with 3-6 foot deep irrigation ditches. Mike fell in one, but the rest of us found foot bridges or tractor crossings to navigate. At the waterfall area the kids found more interesting stones to collect.

Dinner tonight was cod caught by Hauganes fiahermen in the ocean to the north of us. We baked it with butter, salt, and pepper - Wowsers!!! Two full pans disappeared quickly into bellies. Sam definitely liked this fish. I guess we will have fish again tomorrow.

Being Sunday we were worried about places being open. However, most of the museums and such were open normal times. We had a few issues with groceries and swimming.

I sit here typing this at 11:30pm - all in our group are asleep, but the setting sun is beautiful and it still has an hour before setting at 12:45. Sunrise is at 1:30am. The snow capped mountains across the fjord are a pinkish yellow framed by whitecaps on the fjord. During the day the wind blows from the north (ocean) and during the night the wind blows from the interior (south).

Favorites -

Mike = collecting opal like stones with Noah

Mary = the one lane tunnel with side pull offs

Emma = the tunnels and the Herring Museum

Noah = swimming in the fjord on the black sand beach

Sam =swimming in the fjord on the black sand beach

Judith = the Herring Museum and being mesmerized by the midnight sun



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb