Journey to the North


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Akureyri
June 18th 2016
Published: June 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today we packed up early and left for Dalvik by 8am.

Along the way we passed more beautiful waterfalls and a set of turf houses - the two remaining were used for sheep. The other turf houses were removed when the Ring Road was built.

Our journey took us through the desolate highlands region northwest of Egilsstadir. This landscape was barren and reminded us of pictures we've seen of the moon landing. Of course that took Mike into conspiracy theories of whether they really went to the moon or whether they just took pictures here. So as we continued we noticed cairns along the road - these were built centuries ago by the bishops to designate regions.

Eventually someone had to go the bathroom so we pulled off at Grimsstadir. As we drove the 4km through this lonely land we saw a sign for coffee and cakes. We entered to the left of the building into a kitchen with guest rooms off of it. A nice lady offered coffee, drinks, and cakes - one apple with cream and the other berry and rhubarb with cream. That was the BEST apple cake with a crispy sugar topping!!! The kids played on the small play set in the yard. Mike noticed a large egg in her fridge - turned out to be goose eggs. She collects them - takes 1-3 out of the nests of 5 or so. Then she cooks them. The goose ends up laying additional eggs.

We then crossed the river and headed for Dettifoss on 862 as this was the better road that was paved (sealed). The other side (864) was potholes and gravel - still has a view but no real walking paths. The waterfall was pretty powerful sounding. We saw two rainbows in the canyon below the waterfall. Noah and Sam spent most of the walk there and back rock jumping like little bungee cords.

Now on to Myvatn - a large geothermal area with craters, pools, a lake and lots of bird life. However by the time we reached it Sam was asleep on Emma and Noah was asleep on a cooler. So we looked a little out the windows and kept moving.

Godafoss was the next stop. A beautiful waterfall split in two. The rapids cascaded through a canyon just after the falls. To the east of the waterfall was the home of the Icelandic leader who tossed the pagan gods into the waterfall when he chose Christianity. At his former homesite is a church built to honor the 1000th year of Icelandic Christianity. We drove to the cross for the church and mom left dad there. We thought that was fitting.

On now to Akureyri - along the way we found a flea market and obtained some neat items. Also, in a gas station we bought Coke and ended up with a deck of the Icelandic soccer team playing cards for the Europe cup!!! So of course we bought more Coke to get a couple more decks!!!!

Finally we arrived at our next settlement site - Sela just south of Dalvik. We were promptly met at the door by Petur who showed us around his great rebuilt house and stables (with 6 guest rooms). So pretty and amazing view of the fjord. Whales are often sighted in the fjord - I hope the kids get to see one.

After dinner - we share a kitchen with other guests - the kids played hide and seek in the huge field. Made for a tough game with tall grasses and Queen Anne's lace everywhere. We sat and watched for whales but didn't see anything.

Then we chose to walk to the waterfall that is on the land. The kids found that the land in front of the waterfall was a huge pile of rocks that had been washed ashore by the winter storms. So the kids delved into the rock pile and dug for rocks, juggled rocks, threw rocks, piled rocks in the water, jumped on rocks and so much more. While we were down there Petur and Swany walked down. We had great conversations about the rock pile, the turf houses that were on this land, Icelandic history and the possible relation of the monks to the Irish Druids, sea trout fishing and the eider ducks, and so much more. Quite a fascinating place and so much history still to learn and put the puzzles together.

With worn out and wet kids we wandered back down the path to Sela for warmth, showers, and sustenance before bed (FYI it was still sunny and bright and that was 10pm).


Favorite things -

Judith = the yummy apple cake at the guest house in the middle of nowhere.

Mike = Dettifoss

Noah = apple pie and the homemade whipped cream

Emma = the waterfall at Sela and finding pretty rocks.

Sam = the waterfall at Sela and the rocks

Mary = flea market and the cross for dad



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1148s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb