Swimming and Flowers


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Akureyri
June 20th 2016
Published: June 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Today brought a slow start. Judith was up until 12am watching the sunset - see the first photo. Others stayed up until 10:30ish.

We discovered yesterday that Sam loves black currant Ribena - thus the photo of him trying to keep it from Mike.

Once we got moving we traveled to Akureyri. There we visited the botanical gardens - beautiful. The alpine plants exhibit had items from all over the world. Each continent was well represented. Sam and Emma spent some time entertaining a young girl (1 1/2 years old) by doing cartwheels and flips in a grassy area. In talking with the girl's mother she mentioned that quite often cruise ships come to Akureyri and they close down many of the streets and town roads are like traffic jams - so glad we aren't in town on one of those days!! She used to work as a guide before children. Her sister and brother still work in visitor type companies. She mentioned that the Dalvik pool was colder than the one in Akureyri, but when she heard that our three swam in the fjord yesterday, she said they would be fine. She and her husband also live in Mozambique. So to her the Dalvik pool is cold.

From there we wandered on to the Icelandic plants exhibit. In the grass there Noah and Sam tumbled so much that Noahs Khakis are now greenish. In the park we also found a geocache - we plan to possibly go back tomorrow and put the VA View geocoin we have there. Otherwise we need to find a different geocache.

A quick stop to clean the bugs from the car windows turned into a car wash by Emma and Noah. During which Noah attempted to soak his mom - thank goodness I was wearing my quick dry pants!!!

We then traveled out of Akureyri to the south to the Christmas House. Wowsers!!! What a cool place. They had tic tac toe tables using trees and cats (Christmas cat) and trees and stars. They also had a lovely miniature church with a door that opened for the hidden people. In the tower was a doorway to the claimed largest advent calendar in the world. The entire calendar was fairy tales.

In the shop we found Christmas items from all over - the 13 yulelads, Swedish and Denmark traditions, and so much more. In one area they had built a cave and you could peep in the cave and see Gryla (the Yule lads' mother who is mean). Under the stairs was a hole that children could crawl into - they were then in a large room with pillows and a small window. We picked up a wooden Santa and a pig for our Christmas tree.

Outside the kids purchased fudge puppies to eat (see explanation in Judith's favorites). Noah and Sam picked the sprinkles and Emma picked the almonds.

After leaving we headed to the downtown shopping area looking for soccer stuff representing Iceland. We ended up in the Viking World shop looking at souvenirs. The boys each picked out seals. Mom found a sporting shop across the street and obtained her items. We then has soft serve ice cream. Mike and Mary went to a fish and chips place and ordered two fish and chips and a breaded cod for take out.

The clouds looked dark and threatening so we moved along to the grocery store. While Mike went shopping the three vultures tried to eat every bit of fish and chips! Mom and I had to protect the share for Mike.

After dropping mom at Sela and grabbing swimsuits, we went to Dalvik to swim. We had already covered the swimming pool policy with the kids so that they were prepared. For those who don't know - you leave your shoes at the door (you have separate gym shoes if you exercise). Then after paying you go to the male or female locker room. There you find a locker and place everything in it (removing all of your clothes), you then continue to the next room holding your swimsuit and locker key (and towel if wanted). You place everything in a cubbie and you take a shower (group showers). Then you go to your cubbie and put on your swimsuit. Then you go swim or sit in the hot pots. It's really not a big deal, but it is different from American culture.

The kids loved the waterslide once they figured out the best way to go down and keep sliding. They got stuck the first time. Mike and I enjoyed the hot pots after swimming.

On our way home we drove through Hauganes (the village near Sela). Noah and Sam decided they wanted to walk up the beach and through the fields home. They must have run the entire way as they beat us home.

Have a lovely evening. Some one share the full moon with us as we were going to stay up and see it, but the clouds are quite thick (see last picture). It's even dark in our rooms tonight - we had to turn on the lights.


Favorites -

Sam = the waterslide at the pool and walking from the town of Hauganes to Sela with Noah

Noah = swimming at the Dalvik pool

Emma = going shopping at Viking World in Akureyri

Mary = smoked mutton at the Christmas House

Judith = the Christmas House with the largest advent calendar and the cute Christmas displays and the fudge puppies (waffle on a stick dipped in chocolate and then rolled in almonds, sprinkles, or coconut and then topped with cream and syrup - like syrupy jam in caramel or strawberry)

Mike = swimming


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb