Relaxing in Pecs


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Southern Transdanubia » Pécs
July 21st 2011
Published: July 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We woke this morning to the gentle patter of rain on the skylight. The forecast said it was going to be light showers this morning and clearing this afternoon. So we planned for an easy wake up and a late breakfast hoping that the rain would be gone before we headed out to explore the historic town of Pécs.
By the time we went out the rain had stopped but the sky was still threatening with large dark clouds overhead, however the temperature was comfortable in the low 20s. It was quite strange to be out sightseeing where there was a prospect of rain, something we haven’t done since leaving Barcelona about seven weeks ago. It seems that rain might follow us for the next few days. A positive out of this is the temperatures will be more comfortable for sightseeing, especially in Budapest.
The historic part of Pécs is only about 5 minutes walk from our hotel. To reach the centre of the town means walking past older buildings that we are sure would have amazing tales to tell considering Hungary’s chequered past over the last 150 years. The town’s centre has been beautifully restored with the former Gázi Kászim Basha’s Mosque now a Catholic Church dominant. The buildings around the town centre have all been re-painted recently so there is a fresh look to the town. Unfortunately a few streets away the exterior of many buildings is in need of a new coat of paint and the footpaths up-grading. Several fountains feature in the square. One has jets of water shooting up at irregular intervals much to the delight of young children who try and take a chance at not getting wet while running through the fountain. Another, the ornate Zsolnay Fountain, stands proud in one corner.
We took the opportunity to visit the Neo-Romanesque cathedral, and walked around part of the old city walls. Gardeners were just finishing lunch ready to get back to the weeding, dead-heading and hoeing, a task we are really looking forward to in October when we get home.
We chose a McCafe lunch today, indulging in a very nice blueberry muffin. While sitting quietly discussing the day’s activities a friendly American lady asked if she could take our photos. She explained that she was after some examples of the local culture. After explaining that we were not locals but Kiwis on an adventure we got talking about shared travel experiences. The chance to talk to another English-speaking person was welcome after so many weeks of working hard with the local languages.
It was time to wander quietly back to our hostel, on the way collecting some eggs and bread for tonight’s meal. After last night’s goulash, vegetables, rice and chips we have decided on a light meal of boiled eggs tonight followed by rock melon.
Tomorrow we leave for Budapest.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.505s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.2651s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb