Driving to Budapest after the Storm


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
July 22nd 2011
Published: July 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our drive today was from Pécs to Budapest, taking a slightly roundabout way in order to reach our accommodation without getting lost in the city. For those with maps handy, we drove via Kecskemét and Cegléd. Apart from an area of slightly rolling country the landscape was very flat with the main crops maize and sunflowers. The huge plain and big sky reminded us of the Canterbury Plains at home, although the road was very different to SH1 with many bumpy uneven sections and no shoulder in case of mishaps with large trucks. That’s what we get for avoiding motorways, but it all adds to the fun.
As we drove, we noticed the sunflowers had developed a lean, then saw many broken tree branches scattered on the roadside; the result of what must have been a gale force wind yesterday. In the small towns groups of workers were cleaning up a real mess of broken branches and even completely uprooted large trees. There was evidence of rain having fallen but the wind must have been the worst part of the storm for these people. Last night we saw pictures on TV of flood waters and distressed people in reports that seemed to come from Poland, so this may all be part of the weather system that we have been close to in recent days. We have noticed very dark threatening clouds massed in the distance but only the occasional shower has reached us.
Despite having no working GPS, we were able to locate our hotel on a busy road going into Budapest. An orientation walk while dodging the rain showers confirmed that we are in an area of huge apartment blocks, lots of car servicing businesses, some shops selling alcohol and the occasional supermarket. The local people look hard-working: just getting on with the business of surviving. There is a tram stop just opposite our hotel, so we have bought our first tickets and tomorrow will head for the sights of the city, watching out for our wallets in all crowded places.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb