A Week In Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
October 18th 2007
Published: October 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ahhh!!! I'm Stuck!!!Ahhh!!! I'm Stuck!!!Ahhh!!! I'm Stuck!!!

I wiggle myself through a crevasse in the caves.
8 nights and 7 days in Budapest, we spent longer here than anywhere else on our trip.

During our time we visited a monument park containing the statues and plaques that were removed from the city when Communism fell in 1989. We also just so happened to be in Budapest during the national holiday that celebrated the rebellion, and me and Hawk nearly escaped with our lives when a riot almost broke out and a handful of riot ready police appeared.

We also navigated our way through the underground city caves. Dressed in cover-alls and equipped with our helmets and head lamps we crawled on our stomaches, scaled steep ledges, climbed rusty ladders, slid on our bums and squeezed through some of the smallest passages that I didn't think I would ever fit through. 3 hours later we emerged covered in clay dust and sweat. These caves had once been filled with hot water from the volcanic springs that Budapest is known for.

On another day, we spent it relaxing at the Turkish baths. These baths are heated from the hot springs flowing under the city and are decorated with sculptures dating back to when the Turkish controlled
BudapanoBudapanoBudapano

A panoramic of Budapest and the Danobe river.
the city and built these baths. They were incredible, each bath was a different temperature and the outdoor bath/pool was very warm and had fountains and was very enjoyable.

Other than all these adventures, we did manage to fit a lot of partying and drinking in with our friends we met at the hostel. Many a good times were had and 5 seasons of "Curb You Enthusiasm" we completed during the afternoons when hungover.

From here Mike had left us for home (Vancouver) and me and Hawk made our way to Croatia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

1-800-Lose-Weight1-800-Lose-Weight
1-800-Lose-Weight

Look mom! I lost 100 pounds in only 2 months of binge drinking in Europe!!!
Just Takin' a BathJust Takin' a Bath
Just Takin' a Bath

After exiting the baths and changing, we head back for just a quick picture.
Stalin's BootsStalin's Boots
Stalin's Boots

The remaining boots from the destroyed Stalin statue in Budapest.
Who's in the Rocks?Who's in the Rocks?
Who's in the Rocks?

Steve and Mike up in the rocks in the caves.
High 5!High 5!
High 5!

Kennah gives some commy statue an Air Jordan style high 5.
Turkish BathsTurkish Baths
Turkish Baths

The outside volcaniclly heated turkish bath with fountains and the works.
Street FighterStreet Fighter
Street Fighter

Blanka tries his shocking attack against M. Bison.
Left... Left... Left, Right, LeftLeft... Left... Left, Right, Left
Left... Left... Left, Right, Left

The troops go marching by in this pano at Memorial Park.
Marble NippleMarble Nipple
Marble Nipple

Hawkshaw rubs the marble nipple statue for good luck tonight.
Budapest From AboveBudapest From Above
Budapest From Above

A shot from the citadel on the Buda side of Budapest and the danube river which breaks apart the Buda side from the Pest side.
The Three TravellersThe Three Travellers
The Three Travellers

Hawk on the Buda side, while me and Mike are on the Pest side.
CaversCavers
Cavers

Just checking out the depths of the earth for gnomes and orcs.
The Everyone StatueThe Everyone Statue
The Everyone Statue

Not exactly sure what this statue was suppose to represent, but it included knights, riflemen, cowboys and more.
Heros' SquareHeros' Square
Heros' Square

The square of heros in downtown Budapest.
Our GuideOur Guide
Our Guide

Our tour guide shows us the Fun Room, which included the Winnie the Poo hole... wtf is he on???


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb