Opera House in Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
March 30th 2007
Published: August 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Budapest’s Opera House

We took a tour of the Budapest Opera House. The tour is not cheap, but I felt it was worth the cost. It is a most beautiful building, not so much from the outside, but on the inside. Franz-Josef, the last Hapsburg emperor his gave permission that the building could be constructed on one condition, it could not be larger than the one in Vienna. Plans had already been made that the opera house would seat three thousand people. These plans were altered such that only about thirteen hundred could be seated.

The building is absolutely beautiful inside and I really wanted to take pictures, but there are very strict rules against this. Photos can be taken in the lobby and the ticket office, but nowhere else. Our guide explained this very carefully before leading us on our tour. When she finished explaining the “no photographs” rule an elderly man raised his hand.

“Yes”, our guide asked.

“Does that mean I cannot use my video recorder,” he asked.

“Yes,” she replied. “No photographs of any kind are allowed.”

Nancy and I looked at each other and chuckled.

Opening night

In
Ceiling in the LobbyCeiling in the LobbyCeiling in the Lobby

Yes, were were allowed to take pictures here. It gives an idea of the beauty of the entire building.
1884 Emperor Franz-Josef attended the performance the night of the grand opening and he was not happy. The building was too beautiful. He did not think the Hungarians could build a building that included such beautiful work. Also he did not like opera. Later, or our guide said, he was heard to grumble, “The only thing I enjoyed that night was my supper.” This was the only time he attended a performance in the building.

Royal Box

There is a royal box at the back in the first balcony. Only the Emperor and his guests could sit in the box. Even his wife, Queen Elisabeth, could not sit in the box if he was not there. There was a box reserved for her at the front of the theater. From that box she could only see half of the stage, but everyone in the theater could see her. That was a fine arrangement as far as she was concerned. She was a beautiful woman and liked to ‘be on display.’

Smoking Area

For many attending the opera was not so much for enjoyment, but to see and be seen and to conduct business. A smoking area was built into the building. Our guide said that the smoke became so thick during intermissions that you could not see the person in front of you. Young lovers would duck into the smoke for a quick kiss and, I suppose, emerge smelling like a stale cigar.

There are four balconies, all very elaborate and covered with gold leaf.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb