Blown Away in Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
March 20th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Keleti Train StationKeleti Train StationKeleti Train Station

We were walking to our hotel, which was only a two minute walk away. The hotel has a great location.
Blown away in Budapest ... well almost

We were walking to our hotel, which was only a two minute walk away. The hotel has a great location.
Hannah was waiting for us when we alighted from the train at the Keleti train station. The station is a classic European station with the traditional huge glass domed ceilings. The glass in this station is not plain glass but quite nicely decorated. I don't know if it is etched or how the design was put in the glass. I felt almost as if I were at the main train station in Frankfurt, Germany.

After checking into the hotel Hannah helped us buy three day Budapest passes. We did not buy the tourist card and as it turned out that was probably just as well. Tourist passes are great deals in some cities, but in Budapest it seemed to me that the price of the card was quite high and that the difference in the price to enter attractions for a regular ticket versus a tourist card tourist was not that great.

We rode public transportation and exited near the Danube River. The day was quite cloudy and rain threatened, but this was our first and perhaps only chance to see Budapest and all of us were determined to see as much as possible. Hannah, of course, knows Budapest
Interior of the Keleti Train Station
Interior of the Keleti Train Station
like the back of her hand. She has lived in Budapest and now lives a few hours by train from this huge, historic city.

We were almost blown away as we crossed one of the bridges across the Danube River. A fierce, cold wind was roaring down the river. We were pretty well bundled up and did not freeze, but it was anything but a balmy day. Well, Bill and Hannah were really pretty cold but I was warm dispite the fierce wind. I had on my full winter time gear-long wool coat, scarf, etc. It was a good thing since it really was cold. The wind could have knocked me off the bridge if it had hit just right I am convinced. Look at the picture and see how Hannah's hair is almost blowing off her head. But look at those smiles. We were having fun and didn't mind the cold and wind that much.

A
Nancy and Hannah Nancy and Hannah Nancy and Hannah

A fierce wind was roaring down the Danube River as we walked from Buda to Pest.
fierce wind was roaring down the Danube River as we walked from Buda to Pest.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb