Relaxing in Katakolo


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
May 3rd 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.5062, 21.6156

Katakolo is the port from which Olympia is accessed. Having been there we decided to have a relaxing day ashore. The port is very pretty, a small town a couple of minutes walking from the dock.
We wandered through the main street looking at the inevitable shops selling all kinds of artefacts. We went out to the local mooring area where there were small fishing boats. We had seen a sign to a Museum of Ancient Greek technology so decided to check that out. This was a terrific little museum. It contained working models of ancient Greek inventions including cannon, cranes, and entertainment devices. There were also models of triremes and biremes and charts showing defence devices. One was a crane and counter weight with a hook on one end that would attach itself to the side of a shp and then, through a counterweight be upended. Ingenious.
I saw an excellent model of how the "deus ex machina" worked in the theatres.This would make an excellent Special Study for Classics!! We bought the book.

After that we found a nice restaurant and had lunch while enjoying the free Wifi. We tried the local octopus and prawns. Delicious.
We then bought some cute dresses for little girls and Fletcher added to his ship collection!
A comment on food. The onboard Restaurant , the Rembrandt, is excellent We have had many good meals there. By having open dining we have also sat with different fellow travellers from all over the world. We are enjoying our novice cruise and though it only allows for a taste of each city or town, it is interesting to approach these from the sea and enjoy the various entertainments at sea.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb