Santorini boat tour


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
October 7th 2014
Published: October 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

07 October 2014

To get a better appreciation of the caldera and its islands we took a tour in a traditional boat today. It started with a hair raising ride down the hairpins to the ferry port on a double decker coach where we boarded. We sailed along the coast to Fira’s old port, then to the active volcanic island of Nea Kamini for a tiring walk in the hot midday sun to the summit past several of its craters. This was followed by a swim in the thermal hot springs of Palia Kamini before a snack lunch at Thirassia Island and a walk up to the village on the top of its cliffs (another mule ride for Wendy). The final leg by sea was to the town of Oia in the north of Santorini. This was a last opportunity to use the mules to travel up the steep access path. We explored the town, watched a fairly non-existent sunset (it was more fun watching the people watching) and had a coach ride back to Fira.

On the way back we got chatting to Mary, an Australian who was coming to the end of a Greek study tour and holiday and we had a very pleasant supper with her swapping travelling tales. We staggered back to the van at about 10.30 tired but happy after a long but memorable day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb