Santorini Fira


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
October 6th 2014
Published: October 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

06 October 2014

Until about 1600BC Santorini was a circular island with a volcano in the middle and it was called Stongini (Round One). Then there was a colossal eruption and the centre sank leaving a caldera with towering cliffs surrounding it on the archipelago of islands which were left. It could be that the resultant ash cloud was the reason for the demise of the Minoan civilisation. The island was recolonized during the 3rd century BC and given its current name. For the next 2000 years there has been sporadic volcanic activity including the formation of the islands of Palia Kameni and Nea Kameni. In 1956 there was a major earthquake which did widespread damage but that has now been repaired.

We spent the day joining thousands of tourists exploring Fira along its narrow and steep streets. We visited the island’s archaeological museum, had our first view of the stunning and huge caldera, walked down the stepped path which together with a cable car is the only access to the town’s old port (Wendy had a mule ride back up) and watched the sunset the west facing island is famous for.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb