Leaving Crete


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
October 5th 2014
Published: October 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

05 September 2014

After getting up to date with washing and blogging and having a swim on the nearby sandy beach, we headed for the port at Iraklio. Amid what we now consider to be the normal chaos for Greek internal ferries we safely boarded the 18.05 boat for Santorini.

Our time on Crete has been well worth the effort in getting to this island full of friendly and welcoming people. There were many tourists getting around in coaches, small hire cars or quads but we did plenty of driving on deserted and sometimes exciting roads in the mountainous landscape. We saw few campervans but those that we did see we tended to meet again as we travelled around. The campsites were widely spaced but the opportunities for wild camping always presented themselves when we needed them. The walks down two of the numerous gorges were memorable, it was a pleasure to swim from the excellent and diverse beaches and of course we were introduced to the ancient Cretan Minoan civilisation which appeared to be many years ahead of its time.

We arrived at Santorini on time at midnight and after some hairy driving in the dark which included several hairpins on the road climbing up the cliff behind the port we found Santorini Camping in the capital Fira which will be our home for the next four nights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



8th October 2014

Hello Grey Nomads!
Hi Roger & Wendy I really enjoyed our dinner & chat. I love your blog. Happy travels and I'll check in every now & then to see what you are up to. Keep up the roving! Take care. Mary ?

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb