Mystra


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
September 14th 2014
Published: September 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

14 September 2014

Mystra is like nothing we have seen before. It is a fortified medieval city constructed on a hill, topped by a castle built by the Franks in1249 with walled upper and lower towns below it in which are dotted many fine Byzantine churches, some linked to monasteries. There is also a palace, The Palace of Despots and a convent. Under Venetian rule in the late 17th century the population reached its height of 40,000 but as the need for the defensive position receded this dwindled. The last few families were moved out in 1952 and the long process of archaeological restoration commenced.

The owner of the Castle View Camping kindly arranged transport for us to the upper entrance of the site and we were therefore able to make an early start before the weather got too hot. We first climbed to the castle and enjoyed wonderful views of the city laid out below us. Then we were able to make our way down along narrow stepped pathways passing all the magnificent buildings set amongst stunning scenery until we arrived at the exit at the bottom.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.379s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb