Mykonos an Island to explore


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
May 17th 2018
Published: May 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our morning began very early today. In order to catch the 7 o'clock fast boat to Mykonos we were up at 4:30 a.m. We checked out and caught a subway train to the port. It was a nice relaxing ride being able to drink coffee and read. The boat ride lasted three hours and twenty minutes. upon reaching the island we got a taxi which brought us to our hotel Which is lovely with a well kept garden to relax in. I was especially attracted to a gardenia plant which was my mother's favorite flower. I was surprised when the hotel owner later picked one of those flowers and gave it to me. Fond memories!

Our afternoon was spent investigating the island. Most everything here is within a walkable distance. There are buses which run to the various beaches on the island from central locations. We stopped at the Manto Square which is on the waterfront and surrounded by shops and restaurants. Moving on we stopped at a small church which had no altar in it but we were able to light a candle. We found many churches during our walking but many of them were locked. The hotel owner later explained to us that many of them are taken care of by private families and they open them for special occasions or festivals. We were able to enter a couple of them and they are indeed small. One of the Catholic churches we visited had only 14 pews in it. There is a section along the waterfront that is referred to as Little Venice. It has a series of restaurants and shops but small in comparison to Venice, Italy. Further into our walk we viewed the windmills of Kato Mili Which were down the road from the monastery which was closed. All of the structures here are made of whitewashed stucco and very well maintained. All of the sites I have mentioned are on the water along with numerous restaurants and ice cream shops. When you wander through all the pathways off the water you will find many more shops selling clothes, jewelry, hats, sunglasses, shoes, souvineers, restaurants.and taverns.

Later in the evening we had a dinner of grilled chicken with roasted baby potatoes and salad along with bread and olive oil. Again it was a delicious meal. After more strolling along the water we decided upon a gelato to top off our dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



17th May 2018

Mykonos
I remember the windmills. Such a lovely island! Haven’t seen any ouzo yet on the dinner table.
18th May 2018

Yassoo
Thank you for chronicling your travel in Greece...it is a beautiful place. I wish I could be there with you.Safe travels and Godspeed. Adio, Chris

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb