Its a Drama


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thrace
July 29th 2014
Published: July 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Bansko to Drama today. Got up tidied up the apartment and watched with much amusement the work on the block across. Looks like some Bulgarian had dragged a massive piece of equipment over half of Bulgaria only to find once they arrived it didn't work. One of them then tried to get it working and when that failed called his Mate who seemed quite handy with a hammer. By the time we left they still hadn't started it and it was almost worthwhile waiting around to see what they did next...

So once everything was in the car we headed off via Dobrinshte and the E19 towards the Greek border. Very reasonable road all the way so we made good time. Needed passports at both the Bulgarian and Greek borders - but no one asked about the car or insurance for it. Then onwards to Drama and through the city to Taxiarches where the Jennifer Hotel is based. Lovely boutique hotel with only a few bedrooms - looks like we are the only visitors though?



Jennifer and Vassily are very kind and we checked in and were in the pool within minutes. Warm air but the temperature of the pool was lovely. Swam and dipped for about an hour then decided to go back into Drama to look at the Central Park and water area - called something Vagaris...was full of ducks and fish and in the heat a great place to have a wander around. As it approached 6 we found a nice place to eat on the edge of the park.



Great meal - just made a bit of a mistake on the number of salads - seemed to get 2 Russian salads and 2 Greek salads which were also massive. Then the pork and chicken skewers weren't 1 but 2 each... Not as cheap as Bulgaria but not bad about £10 a head. After eating and eating and some more eating we left, drove back through Drama and out to the Jennifer hotel. We parked and walked a little up the hill, lovely views as I hope you can tell from the pictures. It was nice and warm so even sat outside for a little while and then went back to our room to watch TV and play cards. Lovely rooms very boutique. Every room is slightly different.



Tomorrow we are thinking of visiting Philippi which is about 35 km away. Should be a good day out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb