Last Day at Meteora


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Thessaly » Meteora
July 1st 2012
Published: July 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Up and UpUp and UpUp and Up

An easier part of the monopatia to Holy Trinity.
Wow! Today marks one month of travel. It's funny, though, once you get going you don't really think about time, and travelling becomes second nature. That being said, I only have 20 or so days left. I need to make the most of them.

I feel like I definitely did that today. I caught a taxi over to the neighboring town of Kalambaka, which is larger by far than Kastraki, and has the bus and train depots, and more hotels, etc. But you don't really go here for the town. You go here for the great hiking trail that winds up through the rocks to the last two major monasteries at Meteora: Holy Trinity and St. Stephen. For me at least, this was far more intense than yesterday, and I thought at one point the trail was going to end and you'd just have to start climbing up the rock face itself. Fortunately that never happened (even though that could be fun in its own way). The trail drops you right at Holy Trinity (or Triada in Greek).

This was my favorite monastery of the lot. It's the most remote, so most tourists just look at it from the small parking lot. But if you actually climb up the seemingly endless stairs you're rewarded with an incredible view, and I think some of the most beautiful frescoes at Meteora. I would've taken photos, but no cameras are allowed inside the katholikon (the church sanctuary). This is also where they apparently filmed one of the James Bond films, but I've never seen it (I think "For Your Eyes Only" from the 80s). Then walked up the road to St. Stephens, which is a touristy nightmare. Full of rude people from the buses taking photos next to things they don't even know what they are. My advice (thank you Rick Steves): be a traveller, not a tourist!

Had a great dinner this last night in Kastraki. Tomorrow I reluctantly take a bus the 4 hours back down to Athens, where I spend the night before taking a ferry out to the islands. The train only leaves at 5 in the morning!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Holy Trinity (Triada) Holy Trinity (Triada)
Holy Trinity (Triada)

There's a cable that connects it to the road. If you look closely, you can see it.
Scary HookScary Hook
Scary Hook

In the past the only way to get goods up and down was by hoisting them up.
Cross on the EdgeCross on the Edge
Cross on the Edge

At Holy Trinity.
Inside TriadaInside Triada
Inside Triada

The stairs lead up to the church.
Stairs from TriadaStairs from Triada
Stairs from Triada

If you fell down these you'd never be the same.
The famous Greek saladThe famous Greek salad
The famous Greek salad

Feta cheese is the best part - and an Alfa beer.
Plate of olives at dinnerPlate of olives at dinner
Plate of olives at dinner

Everything is pretty much local - though the olives are from the Peloponnese.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb