Steep hikedown from Oia to Amoudi Port


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean
September 2nd 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.4579, 25.3721

Got up and decided that today was the day we head down to Amoudi port for a look around. We took the bus from Fira to Oia and found our way to where the walk begins. The steps are about a meter wide and there are 360 of them to reach the bottom. Of course that means there are also 360 steps to reach the top.

It was a beautiful day and the views were lovely heading down the steps. Of course, the steps have been around for quite some time and are not smooth but just like cobblestones the world over. There is also donkey droppings all along the way that you also need to watch out for!

Checked out all the various places to eat and settled on the Taverna which had tables right on the water and a nice view of all the happenings going on. Tried the taramasalata that had a nice and spicy taste that was served with fresh bread. We also shared a lovely salad with fresh parmesan grated on top. All very delicious.

While we were eating one of the workers began to hang out octopi for people to chose for their meal. This is evidently a regular item on most menus on the island but we never tried any!

Began the walk back up. It was getting much warmer and of course was a little more difficult. We had walked a short distance and stopped to catch our breath and enjoy the view and let a group of donkeys heading down get past us.

Note: The donkeys seemed to go the way they wanted to and you had best get out of their way! We were glad to oblige and move up onto the rock ledge to give them the right of way. While we were sitting there, up some two girls on the back on donkeys. It did not look fun at all nor did the girls seem to be enjoying it as well. Maybe some people do have a nice time on the donkey but some of the reviews we read strongly advised against it.

Did make it back up and walked around a bit more and enjoyed the view and then made our way down to the bus back to Fira. Oia is a very popular tourist destination and so as a result the people waiting to catch the bus get a little out of control when the bus arrives. This was the case that day as we were waiting for the bus. Moved out of the way and caught the next bus down and it was not crowded at all.

Back to our room and fixed a dinner of comfort food -- grilled cheese and salad and chilled for the rest of the evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb