Heavenly Oia


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
September 1st 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.47, 25.37

Got up and had breakfast and were ready for more adventure. Walked to Fira stopping at a store to get some envelopes and a European plug to use in some of the places we have been going to eat.

Caught the bus from Fira to Oia. It is amazing to watch the bus thread its way through the narrow streets with cars coming from the other direction. Somehow they all manage to get through without mishap that we saw.

The road to Oia really winds to get there so made me wonder what the path was like as well. It was beautiful in a windswept way. Do wonder where they get their water. Oh, a side note on the water. Santorini has a de-salination plant where they convert salt water to the water that comes through the faucets. We then filtered it through our filter but it still had a bit of a taste but we were not willing to keep buying bottled water. Toward the end of the two week period we did break down and buy a few large bottles.

It was a beautiful windy day for walking around and checking out more of the architecture. Of course the blue churches were in evidence and more of the stunning views as well. Found a place to eat that was upstairs and had a great view down to Ammoudi. Really enjoyed the view and the meal even though it was quite windy and we had to watch our salad to keep it from blowing away! One of the nice things about being on this side of the island is all the different views looking over the crater. Depending on where they are located, they have a slightly different view and some you can see down to one of the places like Ammoudi on the water.

Took the bus back down after walking a back route to the bus stop and enjoying more of the scenery of Oia. From Fira we walked back down to our room and fixed ourselves dinner.




Additional photos below
Photos: 127, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb