Naxos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » South Aegean » Naxos
May 29th 2011
Published: May 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

NaxosNaxosNaxos

The old town
Sunday 29th May 2011

We had a slow start to the day and went off to a nearby restaurant called To Ellieniko for some breakfast, it has live Greek music every night after 7 o'clock so at that point we would steer clear of it.

The breakfast was €5.50 each and I have to say I have had far better for the price and the attitude of the guy running the place wasn't entirely pleasant. The coffee was advertised as continual refill, but once he had taken away the milk and sugar from our table, I guess he thought we had had enough at two cups each! The only highlight was the home made orange marmalade. Well it's another place added to the list of never visiting again.

We pottered around Naxos town (the Chora) looking at the sights and the harbour. We went up to the unfinished temple of Apollo which was interesting.

In the town we had a look around the shops and I have bought a new item of head gear as I don't really like baseball caps, but I do need something to keep the sun off my head. This new item may
NaxosNaxosNaxos

Temple of Apollo looking back to the harbour
feature in a future blog picture and you can decide if I look like a complete idiot.

We sat and had a coffee in the harbour and watched people, a fast craft arrived and departed.

We went back to the room and sorted a few things out. We are going to move on to Paros tomorrow and have booked accommodation via the internet. We just need to book a ferry, but they seem plentiful.

We went for a walk early in the evening and found a travel agent ferry booking office and booked the ferry for tomorrow at 1535 hrs Naxos to Paros €8 each with Nel lines on the Aiolos Kenteris II.

We pottered around the town again and made our way back to Maro restaurant next door to the one we ate in last night. We had a Greek salad, Chicken in a tomato sauce with pasta and Kontosouvli which is grilled pork. All was lovely, with drinks and free dessert all came to €21.50. There was more than we could eat and the food was very nice. The downside was that the place was full of smokers, inside and out and that spoilt the meal.

We watched the sun go down over the harbour and returned to the room.





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

NaxosNaxos
Naxos

The harbour


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb