Day 13 in Crete


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete
September 2nd 2008
Published: September 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Well at about 6 in the morning we made it to Crete. The day did not start off the best. It seems there was some confusion to our arrival time and there was no one at the dock to pick us up. It turned out ok. We had to wait about an hour but in the end it was no big deal.

Elounda Beach is about an hour away from the dock. It was a nice drive. I find it very interesting how people drive in Greece. I noticed this in Athens as well. It seems that the lines in the road are well they aren’t even there for guidelines. People just move around the road as they need to and they like a good bit of space between the cars so if you are being passed you are expected to pull partially out of your line into the lane on the right or the shoulder. The slow cars and scooters didn’t even bother getting off the shoulder. Oh yeah, there are tons of motorcycles and scooters here and they drive and park them anywhere.

The apartment that will be my home for the next week is pretty nice and it is a short walk to the beach with a nice view from the balcony. The first thing that I did was come in and lay down. I needed some sleep. As it turned out this was really our day to get acclimated to life here in Elounda. We took a nap, did a little grocery shopping (or Bill did), laid around on the beach and found internet and alcohol (I think I can survive here). I was a bit surprised that the water is as cold as it is. It’s not freezing like the Pacific, but it is a bit chilly.

It seems that Greece or at least Elounda is on a different timetable than us. We found what turned out to be a really good restaurant down the beach from our place. We got there around 7:30 for dinner and it was literally empty as was every other place we walked by. By the time we finished dinner a little after 9 a family had come into the restaurant for dinner. We finished dinner and walked around a bit and things were starting to wake up. Apparently they start having dinner around 9; this will take a couple of days to get on that schedule.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb