Day 14


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Crete
September 3rd 2008
Published: September 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a much needed night’s sleep we slowly woke up and had a light breakfast (croissants with Nuttella, who know such a thing existed?). We went and got a car for the week. All they had right then was a “jeep” which as it turns out is a Suzuki Vatara. Once I got over being in such a little car and afraid of certain death it wasn’t so bad. (OK, I’m still not used to it.)

We headed out to the Lesithi Plateau. We went down one road and ended up on another and got lost and then found and then lost, etc (you get the idea). It took us about 2 hours to travel what ultimately was about 50km. Oh well, we saw lots of actual Cretan villages. We did finally make it up to the Plateau and to Zeus’ Cave.

The cave is a good little hike to get up to and then a good climb down into it. You can rent a donkey to take you for about 15 EU, but that will only get you to the cave, you will still have to climb down into the cave on your own. The good news is that the cave is nice and cool so you cool down quickly and it makes the walk down the hill much easier. It’s pretty cool and if you can manage the hike well worth the 4 EU to go see the birthplace of Zeus.

After hanging out at the cave for a bit we got back into our Suzuki and headed to Malia. Our goal was simply to drive through and be able to find our way back tomorrow. The guidebook does not speak favorably of this town at all, stating that it is where the hooligans and late night partying is, so of course we are going there one night before Billy Buddy leaves.

This trip back to the apartment was much easier and we only had one wrong turn which was easily reconciled. While we were driving through Malia we couldn’t help but notice a lot more tourists and a lot of people on 4-wheelers.

OK there were 2 driving mishaps. The first was when Billy Buddy decided to take us the wrong way down a one way street. As it turns out this was really a non-event. As he is there trying to turn around in what seemed like a 50 point turn on this narrow one way street everyone and everything else kept going on around us as normal without hardly anyone even bothering to look up. The second mishap we won’t talk about. Fortunately, neither of these events led to any long-term problems.

The night finished off rather well at a local Elounda restaurant. We were seated next to some very lovely Brits that had just moved to the island. I’m not sure if it’s because we just left London or if it’s reality but in Crete they are not afraid to spice the food and you get plenty of food. We ordered two meals and drinks and paid 33 EU; each of these meals could have fed both of us if we had known.

Finally, I picked up a kick ass hat on the way home. Stay tuned for some awesome pics of me.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Billy Buddy & TEDDYBilly Buddy & TEDDY
Billy Buddy & TEDDY

TEDDY was a bit tired after the hike up


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb