DELPHI


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece » Delphi
November 5th 2014
Published: November 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

DELPHI, TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY, 4/5 November,2014.

Today we travelled by public bus three hours north to Deplhi, the centre of the ancient world. It was founded in 560BC. Difficult to comprehend a place so old.

Delphi is high in the mountains and quite cold at night, although both days have been sunny and warmish! Another town closing for the Winter. We found the only hotel, shared with four Estonian Harley Davidson Riders on their annual European tour. Looked great!

The town is full of jewellery and tourist shops and hotels, most of which are shut. The summer crowd must be awful, if you are a tourist, great if you are a business person. The GC businesses would be in awe I think!

Today we visited the Archeological Museum and ruins. Both exceptional. Not one for museums generally, but this one was very good, well laid out, with larger than life pieces. The ruins ran down the mountain side. The ancients must have been very fit. No indication of where they lived, only the temples to the Gods, Apollo & Athena. All carved from marble, must have been soul destroying for the rock carters seeing that the temples are located amongst magnificent cliffs. Many of the grand pieces came from all over Ancient Greece, Asia- Persia, places we now know as Iraq, Turkey, Lebanon, etc.

Tomorrow we train it to Meteora. Hopefully it will have room for us!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



6th November 2014

Delphi - 4th and 5th November
Loving the blogs and photos....Hot here xxxxxx

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb