Meteora


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Central Greece
November 7th 2014
Published: November 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

METEORA, THURSDAY/FRIDAY. 6/7 NOVEMBER, 2014.

Will it happened again! We turned the lights out as we departed Delphi. The Inn owner was closing after our departure.

We caught the train to KALAMBAKA the town servicing the tourism industry visiting the famed monasteries of Meteora, which are suspended off huge monolithic rock formations which loom over the town 800 metres below.

The train arrived punctually and was reasonably comfortable. The ride was 3.5 hours through a mix of countryside. Greece is very barren and rocky. Having said that it has the tastiest and crispest tomatoes and cucumbers. Olives aren't everywhere, in fact you need to request them, otherwise you might not see them. Greece also has magnificent conifers, tall and straight. Delphi's hills were populated with them.

KALAMBAKA is a very plain looking little town, full of tourist shops, hotels and cafés in the main area. None look very appealing. It's amazing how good the GC seems in our memory!

Today we awoke to thick cloud or fog covering the cliffs. As the view from the monasteries is one of the highlights we will wait a little longer before we head out. We are intent on taking a taxi to the highest monastery and walking back. However the light drizzle is a concern!

Unfortunately the weather didn't improve, light showers, but thick fog or low cloud. We wandered off to the next town, good views across the monoliths. Decided not to go up to the monasteries. The reviews all speak of the views so little point on that score, and not a lot otherwise said, so we wandered the town, ate delicious coconut covered cakes and ate chips and pork gyros. Now we are feeling fat and lazy!! Tomorrow off by train to Thessaloniki.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.69s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb