Piraeus


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Piraeus
December 3rd 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

SkalaSkalaSkala

Villa Costa
Tuesday, 2nd December, 2008

We got into town about eleven o'clock and parked by the Lixouri ferry terminal.

We found a computer shop and bought a new mouse. We then bought some CRV3 batteries from a photo shop. Pat found the Body Shop and replenished some make up.

We then went off to the Metropolis for coffee and internet. Our English lady wasn't working today.

We updated the blog, checked on emails and then surfed for Greek ferry information and timetables.

There doesn't seem to be any ferries from Patras to Crete. So it is back to plan A. Trying to find information on times is like looking for the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, very elusive. The sites we had found to look up information, didn't provide any. Even going to a ferry company website for information wasn't easy.

We decided that we would book the ferry from Sami to Patras and then head for Piraeus.

We popped into a travel agent and asked them about a Patras to Crete connection, but they also said it didn't exist.

We headed for one more travel agent and asked them
LixouriLixouriLixouri

Main street on a Saturday
the same question, same answer. However, we did book our ferry for the morning. O830 hours Sami to Patras, 2 people 1 car, €95.30.

The travel agent did give us a little information about ferries Piraeus to Crete, and there seem to be one at 2000 hrs and one at 2100 hrs.

The drive from Patras to Piraeus is about four hours, (we have also been told two hours) so arriving around twelve midday in Patras, we should still have time to drive, orientate ourselves, book and get on a ferry, from Piraeus to Crete. If not we find a hotel and try for the next day.

After all this we decided on lunch, my favourite restaurant was approved by Pat. So we ambled back along the port. This time we ordered a Greek salad and only one main course of Chicken on skewers. Total with drinks €15.10.

We bought some milk from the supermarket and then headed back to the apartment.

We started soring things out to load the car. Kostas arrived back and I let him know we would be leaving in the morning. I asked him about borrowing the hose to clean
FiskardoFiskardoFiskardo

Pat on the Quayside
the car, which he was fine with.

So I managed to make the beast look respectable, and we don't get so dirty when loading everything back in the car.

Pat had been putting stuff away and I then hauled everything down to the car and we loaded it back up.

An early night planned as we will need o leave the apartment about seven o'clock.

Wednesday, 3rd December, 2008.

10 weeks travelling today.

We had an unsettled evening, it rained heavily at one stage and the wind was blowing.

Plan for today, leave Kefalonia and head for Crete. The Greeks say Crete as “Kriti” by the way.

We had set the alarm for 0610 and we were up, washed, dressed and left the apartments at 0700. It was still dark at this time and the wind was blowing, but it was 18°C.

The journey to Sami was uneventful and it was getting lighter as we travelled along.

We arrived at Sami port before eight and parked. The wind was still blowing. The ferry came in and everyone tried to be in the same place all at once as usual. The
FiskardoFiskardoFiskardo

A busy fishing village in the winter!
debarking foot passengers were coming off as the ropes were still being thrown, the ship tied up and more cars came off than I expected. Then we were waved on board, after our tickets were taken.

While we were waiting a kingfisher landed on one of the fishing boats in front of us. A regal sight and Pat says it's the closest she's ever been to one.

We parked the car and made our way to the lounges. The ferry sailed on time at 0830.

Not sure if I mentioned last time, but the ferries put their sticker on your car, whilst you are on board. We have two on the back window at the moment Blue Star and Strintzis. We expect to gain a few more by the time we finish.

After settling we got some coffee, referred to as “Nescafe” if you want it in the English style. Pat then proceeded to eat her honey sandwiches (yeuch), which she had prepared last night.

The ferry arrived in Patras, spot on eleven thirty and we were off fairly quickly and heading up the road to Pireaus.

We stopped for petrol, which was at
Myrtos BeachMyrtos BeachMyrtos Beach

A busy afternoon on the beach. Only Us
€0.85 per litre. Then we were off on the motorway for about 214 kilometres.

We saw in the distance the massive suspension bridge, from Rio to Antirrio.

Motorway is an interesting term of course because it is one lane each way, with a hard shoulder and no central barrier. The hard shouder is used as a lane all the time.

The road eventually increased to a more recognisable three lanes each way as we got nearer to Athens. The traffic was very light and a pleasure to drive.

We passed over the Corinth canal on the way in and got a quick glimpse.

We turned off for Pireaus and hit the town itself, traffic is chock a block in the town. I had read the mopeds ride on the pavement and they do.

We headed down to the port area and I was hoping for a wonderful system identifying the berth locations, which we understood were done on geographical location, cyclades, dodecanese, etc. We arrived in the port area at two thirty.

And lo and behold this was so. We saw the Crete sign E3, which was only a short way along, and parked. The Minoan kiosk was too hand so was asked them about, what, where, when and how. They had a boat sailing this evening at 2100 hours, the Knossos Palace, two passengers and car, with a two berth cabin, cost €258.00, ETA Heraklion (Iraklion) 0600 hours. He said the ship may be delayed due to the weather (?) but this didn't worry us. We could go on board from 1730 hours, what time it sailed didn't really matter to us.

We then ambled around the port and were heading for the Passenger Terminal which Pat had spotted, on the port map in the Greek Island Hoppers Guide. It turned out to be a little walk but well worth it for Pat, as it had a Starbucks coffee shop.

The weather by the way is 23°C now and the sun is shining.

We sat outside and drank the coffee, with a sandwich.

What we had also now spotted was that it appeared the port was being blockaded. So the guy in the ticket office was fibbing we think. We can't find anything out, but we have seen television crews. It looks like the fishermen are up to something.

As we have no particular schedule, it doesn't really matter to us, as long as we can get on board and have a cabin, so what.

I have forgotten to mention the tremendous number of ships. Pireaus is a major world port, and is a ship spotters wet dream. Tthere are ferries, old and new, fast craft, dolphin fast craft, catamarans and single hull, cruise ships and this is only the passenger ships section.

The Knossos palace which we are about to travel on is 30,000 GRT, which is bigger than the Black Watch, Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, which I know well. The ship is also the best Greek ship sailing the Mediterranean.

We went back to the car and killed an hour or so, then moved slightly nearer the ship at 1730. Not long after cars started going on board and we did as well.

We parked the car and went up to reception. A line of staff greeting new passengers, were awaiting us and took our tickets, got our cabin key and took us to our cabin 7038, an inside cabin.

A tour of the ship was required, so we headed for the bar. A gin & tonic and a diet coke to celebrate our succesful journey and arrival on board.

We then did the tour and she is not unlike a cruise ship in a lot of respects. Nice lounges, outside deck, self-service and a la carte restaurants, shops and so on. Reserved seating and business class lounges are definitely different though.

We then went back to the cabin to refresh before trying to access the on board internet and get some dinner.

The “weather” as the blockade appears to be called is expected to get better by midnight, and they are hoping we will sail around that time.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.397s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb