Ancient Ruins


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 13th 2008
Published: May 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On Monday, we went to the Acropolis. This area is composed of many different ruins such as the Parthenon and the Theatre of Epidavros. You can see shows in this theatre but we were too early in the season. All of the ruins are being rebuilt which is kind of a let-down. Scoffolding is all over the buildings. The Greek government is repairing and replacing areas that have crumbled. We then travelled back down the hill which took us back to the flea market. We had lunch at an outside taverna (cucumber/tomatoe salad and toasted ham and cheese sandwiches (a staple on all greek menus).

That evening we walked up to a section of Athens where some of the foreign embassies are located. After walking up 7 blocks of continual stairs, we reached the tram to take us to the top of Lykavittos hill which is the highest point in Athens. We were able to see the city at night from all vantage points. Quite a sight. After a mere 12.00E for 2 coffees were returned to the bottom!

We have spent a lot of time roaming around the different areas in the center of Athens. The streets are only wide enough for 1 car to drive down. I can't figure out how they know which streets go which way! The best way to get around is by motorcycle and there are thousands of those.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb