Number 19 Retirement


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 28th 2014
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.9957, 8.26768

Wednesday morning was beautiful with clear blue skies. We decided to explore Dinkelsbuhl and walked through the cobbled stone streets. Again, we walked into the Cathedral and admire the detail craftsmanship of the construction. We sat on an outdoor patio and had a strudel and I had a pretzel. Again, we watched the world walk by us. Very relaxing. Today, our objective was to drive along the Romantic road, on the winding 2 lane hi-way, through vineyards and small farms and villages with the destination to Comfort Suites at Frankfurt Airport (using points and we wanted to be close to the airport to return the car and get connected back with Captain #19 on Thursday morning.)

We stopped in one village and Glenn pulled out his knife to cut the block of bread we had purchased 2 days earlier along with the ham from the deli and made me a delicious sandwich. And of course We watched the world walk/drive by.

Our next stop was to find the Comfort Suite. After coming upon a detour, we finally found it. Then we decided to drive to the airport and the Avis rent a car to make sure we knew how to
get there on the back roads. We drove through a nice forest and picnic area and ended up on the far side of the airport and eventually to the turn off to Avis. We felt comfortable that we could get to the airport early enough to meet flight AA 70. We stopped along the exit and watched the planes take off as we ate another sandwich and some chips we had purchased at the gas station. Instead of watching the world walk by, we watched the world fly by.

Thursday, August 28

We got up early, dropped the car off, and went inside FRA. I sat in the food court while Glenn got something to eat. Then we met up with Barbara and Scott. We were allowed

to take the crew bus to the Hotel, which was about 40 min. down the hi-way. Scott, Barbara and crew were excited about his last trip. Linda is a special friend of the Russells and she along with several other crew members made sure they bid for this flight.

Once we got to the hotel, Linda, Barbara, Glenn and I walked into Mainz and then took the train to another town so Linda could purchase
a "retirement" gift for Scott. Linda needed to also buy a pair of shoes too, so that was thrown in the mix. Once we got to the largest coo-coo clock store in the world, I found a souvenir spoon for Glenn to buy. We had taken a taxi from the train station to this store, but couldn't find a taxi to return, so we started walking the 1.5 miles back to the train station. We also walked and saw another cathedral. Once we got back to the train station, we had a few minutes to spare and Glenn shared a wiener schnitzel with Linda and Barbara. I bought a pretzel. After the train ride, we went back to the hotel. We stopped at a Starbucks in the train terminal and Glenn bought me a Starbucks Germany Mug.


During the afternoon, Glenn was able to ride Linda's bicycle that she had stored in the basement of the hotel. While he did that, I was resting, because my back was giving me trouble. Scott and Barbara went for an afternoon walk and we all met up at the restaurant where Scott was being honored. Glenn and I left the hotel soon afterwards and we went to the Guttenberg museum where there were displays of old Bibles, artifacts and Guttenberg printing press. We enjoyed walking on the cobble stone streets and just sitting on a bench near the restaurant where we were going to have the retirement party for Scott.

I met up with Scott and Barbara and went to one of Barbara's favorite store - a vinegar store. All types of oils. Quite unique. They served samples and had different types and flavors depending on the season. Afterwards we went to the retirement party. Linda and several other flight attendants had reserved this typical German restaurant and had decorated it up. Everyone toasted Scott and said kind words about him. Scott received several gifts from folks. It was very honoring to be a part of this special night. Glenn and I typical German meal and it was delicious especially thinking how we had been eating bread, cheese, ham and pretzels for the past 8 days.

Friday, August 29

Friday morning, Scott ceremoniously released some helium balloons that decorated his party the night before. We got to ride with the crew back to FRA. I held the poster board about Scott's retirement as we walked through
the terminal. It was great. As we walked by folks, of course they stared and many gave 'high fives'. Glenn and I sat in Business Class, though not together. When we arrived at DFW, it is customary for retiring pilots to go through a water salute for ceremonial purposes. #19 was retiring.

Scott greeted folks when they deplaned. I noticed that Scott looked back on the jet way, when we were walking off the plane. I am sure he had mixed feelings. Scott was #19 in seniority at AA.

In summary, I'm thankful for Scott and Barbara's friendship over the years. Thankful that we were on Scott's LAST flight. Thankful for 8 fabulous days in Germany - Watching the World walk by. August 20-29, 2014 My Germany report




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb