Mountain excursion


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 25th 2012
Published: May 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we set out to wander through the old city,taking in the Ferdinandeum museum ( which had several floors of paintings and sculptures) and then walking through the gardens near the Hofburg palace. We spotted some cute ducklings hiding by a large pond and noted several horses and carriages designed to ferry we tourists around the olde worlde streets in style. Finding the station for the funicular railway, we took a brief but extremely steep trip up the mountain to the last stop that opens at this time of the year. It still afforded spectacular views of Innsbruck and the dramatic mountains that dominate the landscape. These are still dusted with snow and make for a wondeful sight in the bright sunshine. We needed lunch so bought a couple of rustic salads that incuded boiled eggs and fries bacon. Fresh crusty bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar was served free of charge and was delicious. Making our way back down to the township again, we explored an elaborately over-decorated church called Dom du St Jakob. Just breath taking to see the richly painted ceilings, ornate plaster work and an enormous amount of gold work. Outside the touristy side streets beckoned and we sample an authentic apple struedel, bursting with fruit and served outside next to several chain-smoking tourists. Yes, smoking is allowed outside and ashtrays are everywhere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb