Tuesday, 26th July -


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 26th 2011
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Our Ford Galaxy we are driving around in.
Again I woke up latish today, we were aiming to be on the road by 9.00/9.15 at the latest as we had to head to Lingen to pick up our rental car for Germany. Although I still folded all the washing, packed my bags, had breakfast (I'm contimplating moving in permanently... Kamanikaas and Hagel Slaag every morning... It doesn't get much better) and was still ready 15 minutes before Steve (Aunty Margareth is very quick off the mark and has picked up on the fact that you need to tell Steve before everyone else to get ready to leave). Very bravely (or stupidly) Aunty Margareth let Steve drive her car, with all of us in it, to Lingen – I don't think Uncle Albert or Aunty Margareth are prepared to let that happen again!!!!
We got our rental car... A Ford Galaxy (this thing is massive and so new and nice and new and nice) so we had a laugh at my poor husband stalling the car in the middle of the road while moving it down to where we were parked. We moved our luggage then had another coffee and food before we left. Aunty Magareth also left us with
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

The beloved GPS system - Yah to who ever invented that thing!
a farewell present (don't worry though Aunty Magareth I won't tell them it was a fart... or how much it smelt!) Uncle Albert has lent us his TomTom and the car also has a built-in navigation system (in German but don't worry, intelligent me who can ready German (YEA RIGHT!) managed to select a pile of options and changed it to English).
First stop – Aachen. We arrived at about 3pm. Steve is loving the Autobahns – we seem to be averaging 150kph! Spent about 4 hours looking around and had Mexican for tea... very yummy but the meals were HUGE!
Next stop – Frechen, Cologne. We got there at about 9.30pm. GPS directed us to our BnB Hotel (Thank goodness for GPS or there would be a lot of fights going on... or more than usual! :P) We had a family room booked and is was nice, Steve and I had a queen bed (with a single duvet) downstairs and Nicole had 2 single beds upstairs. We had issues getting the Internet to go so at 10.30 we went to Burger King (we looked out our window at the massive Burger King sign) and hooked up to the Internet
Photo 4Photo 4Photo 4

Nicole has a cold and needed more tissues - this is what she came out of the shop with!
there.
So far we are coping with Steve's driving and the language barrier!
That's me over and out for another day! (Not sure how long I will keep up with this blogging every day but at least it keeps nag-face Monique off my back! Hehe Love you sis!! xx)
P.S. There is a photo attached especially for Andrew, Steve loved it and thought you too would be impressed – It was a beer bike!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

The Beer Bike (Especially for Andrew - Steve thought you might like it!)
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Steve's meal from SausaliOs


27th July 2011

yeah, yeah
You're still a day behind though! haha :) I knew you'd value a GPS system, but great the car has one. Hey - you're photos seem to be playing up - I can only see them if I open them up big, but not displayed when you look in the actual blog contents - weird. (Nicole's do the opposite most of the time)

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb