Baltic Sea


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 26th 2010
Published: July 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we went to Berlin - amazing city really. Had a lot of sad history there but they've recovered very well and have rebuilt the old buildings and built some truly fantastic new buildings - huge buildings and railway station - futuristic style buildings.
We did the top 10 Berlin attractions such as the Berlin Wall - most of what is left is covered in paintings - as per the attached photos show, and a small piece of it can be bought from $3.90 on a piece of coloured board, saw where Checkpoint Charlie is/was and if you want you can have your passport stamped there. We saw a lot of historical buildings, parks and monuments but didn't go into many of them due to the lack of time but took heaps of photos of each one.

The whole city was showcased with their buildings but sadly the surrounding gardens were not looked after and made them look bad. Around one third of the city's territory is composed of forests, parks, rivers and lakes.

We had lunch at a restaurant in Berlin - sauerkraut, sausages, mashed potatoes and other things their mothers used to make - was very nice and homey type of food.

One interesting point was that Friedrich II banned imported coffee in order to encourage sales of local beverage - beer!!
It was quite a long day with travel taking up to 4 hours on the train - so out came the canasta pack again and the time went pretty quickly on the way back! Yes my team won...... 😊

Today is a day at sea and has been a relaxing day so far - have been for the Lime & Ginger massage where they scrub you with a sugar mixture, then shower and massage for 20 minutes with I guess, Lime & Ginger... not that you can smell it but was a little disappointed with the short massage - after having a beautiful stone massage the other day... so relaxing it put me to sleep.
This ship is a bit smaller and older than the Norwegian Jade we were on at Christmas time and doesn't have all the facilities it had but they still offer plenty of things to do on the ship and no reason why anyone should be bored - if so it's their own fault!!
Going for another game of Canasta then dinner and a show.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



28th July 2010

Looks like you are having a good time!
Hi Lyn - you certainly are getting around. Berlin photos interesting - not sure about the two men kissing!! How's Dianne, is she better from her Shingles? How cold is it on the ship? I see John is wearing a jacket up on deck. I suppose you are sailing in the North Sea so I would expect it would be chilly!! You will be experts at Canasta by the time you get back! Look forward to the next instalment. Love Noveen and Ken

Tot: 0.594s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb