Reichstag Attempt number 2


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 16th 2009
Published: July 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 14 - Rain and the Reichstag



Again we had decided to get up early and head to the Reichstag but it was raining. So we slept until ten when we finally caught the train to the East Side Gallery. Most of it was just graffiti on top of the paintings that were originally commisioned. Ben thought some of the paintings were interesting. Some of the wall was being stripped and repainted for the walls twentieth anniversary. Some were already done and they looked much better than the graffiti.

Ben and I worked out the metro system and caught the train to the Jewish Museum. Similarly to the Checkpoint Charlie Musuem the first hour that related to individual families and incidents in the holocaust were interesting but the musuem was huge. It covered the whole history of the Jews and their religion. We were disinterested by the end though due to our limited attention spans. Using our newly acquired metro skills we headed to the monument for the holocaust victims. that place is pretty moving as such a large city has devoted such a big area to this monument. We didn't visit the musuem underneath as it seemed to be similar in some ways to the Jewish Museum.

We checked the queue at the Reichstag so we decided to comke back that night. We caught the train back to our hostel which might I add is possibly my favourite hostel this far, possibly except for paris but it was 13 Euro cheaper. We got pack at 4:30 and saw a sign for 4 Euro pizza and 5 Euro cocktails so we dropped off our stuff and headed for dinner right next to Hakesher Markt at AM to PM. It was so good we both had strawberry daiquiri. I ate all my pizza and Ben didn't.

After tea we bummed about in our room until seven and then headed to the Reichstag, the queue was much smaller and we were inside in about half an hour. This was probably my highlight of Berlin as it was amzing to see so much of the city as the sun was setting. My Japanese boyfriend took so many photos; when I could convince him to leave we went home and slept.Only to be woken at 3:30am for a fire alarm, it went forever, i only wokr up as Ben woke me. Good luck if it was real. Tomorrow were off to Dresden.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb