Zugspitze


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 22nd 2009
Published: May 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

22 May 2009

We left Oberammergau and drove the few kilometres to Garmisch - Partenkirchen, Germany’s premier ski resort, to enable us to catch the impressive cable car ride from Eibsee to the summit of the Zugspitze, at 2962m Germany’s highest peak. The weather was a bit changeable but we had good views over many of the high Austrian mountains from the summit. Coming down we took a short cable car to the Schneeferner Glacier which appeared still to have skiing available and then a cog railway through a tunnel in the mountain back to Eibsee.

Just after we got down a huge thunderstorm started and we had a wet drive as we continued eastwards through the Alps. Fortunately the weather soon improved and we were able to enjoy the scenery.

Our camper stop guide listed a Gastof in the mountains which accepted camper vans. In the early evening with the help of local guidance we had an interesting half hour driving through pretty villages and along narrow hairpin roads trying to find it. We eventually got there to find that it was a remote restaurant next to a ski station and it was closed. Fortunately we had just passed another Gastof which had plenty of guests and a large ski lift car park outside it and we were able to stop there. We had a delightful meal of local Tirolean dishes. Most of the other people were in local costume and appeared to be a big party away for a weekend in the hills.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb