Weiskirche and Oberammergau


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 21st 2009
Published: May 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

21 May 2009

What we thought was going to be a quiet day turned out to be quite an eventful one on what was a bank holiday in Germany.

After catching up with the blog and a few other chores we left the camper stop late morning and went into Fussen to look at the castle there with its painted walls.

We then returned to the German Alpine Way but after a few miles the road was closed and we were diverted off with no signs. We eventually found our way back to our next visit which was to Weiskirche, a magnificent baroque church built to house the statue of Christ which a farmer in 1760 saw the miracle of it crying. The church has a huge ceiling painting of the resurrection.

From there we continued to Oberammergau which I particularly wanted to visit as my parents had seen the passion play there in1960. We were very lucky to be the only people on the last tour of the theatre today and were shown round by Markus Wagner who will be playing a Jewish Soldier in next years production. The other things to see here are the number of shops selling carvings and the many decorated house facades, we particularly liked Little Red Riding Hood on the outside of a nursery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb