Rest day in Telgte


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
August 28th 2022
Published: August 28th 2022
Edit Blog Post

There was another lovely spread for breakfast and the 'gluten free bread', especially ordered in. We had a very leisurely morning washing, reading, doing puzzles and generally relaxing.



On arriving at the hotel yesterday we saw a sculpture of a large figure similar to ones we had seen in Widenbrùck, on our way to Berlin. A leaflet picked up this morning explained they are the work of Christel Lechner, a renowned Sculptor, who specializes in larger than life every day people constructed from concrete. Apparently they are found in many German cities and other European cities too. The one across from the hotel is 'Anton, der Postbote'.



Early afternoon we rode into Telgte itself for lunch. A round trip of 8 miles. Telgte is a very pretty little town famous for the annual Telgte Pilgrimage, the second-largest pilgrimage in Germany. Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and beginning in Osnabrück, the summertime pilgrimage regularly consists of 8,000 pilgrims. Telgte is also known for its Nativity Museum and its fair.



The pilgrimage chapel, a Marian chapel, is a baroque, octagonal central building from around 1650. The destination of the pilgrimages is the Telgter Gnadenbild, a Pietà (sculpture of Mary with the Fire rider at the Medieval Spectaculum the corpse of Jesus) in this chapel. According to legend, it is said to have been carved from the Marienlinde. The Marienlinde is an approx. 750-year-old, heritage-protected summer linden, and is one of the oldest trees in Germany. The ‘tree veteran’ stands at the northern city gate, the cathedral gate. The linden tree got its name from the image of the Virgin Mary that is said to have been carved from its wood.



Whilst in Telgte we also found 'Der Ernst des Lebens' ( The serious side of life) and 'Die Nonne' sculptures by Christel Lechner.



On arriving back at the hotel we saw a German lady who we had spoken to briefly on arrival yesterday. We spent some time with her. She should have been holidaying in Ireland but the trip was cancelled due to lack of customers so she is having a few days in this hotel and cycling to other places from here.



Another meal in the restaurant next to the hotel this evening. Moving on again tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.334s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.2089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb