Days 40 and 41 - Frankfurt to Sydney Homeward Bound


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
September 27th 2018
Published: October 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Like all good stories this one is coming to an end. To all the people that have read and commented on the blog, thank you!

We opted not to reward the Hilton Garden Inn at Frankfurt with any more of our money so opted to instead have breakfast at the airport lounge after we'd checked in and gone through security prior to departure. Check in at Frankfurt was German efficiency with a smile. All checked in we had the usual hassle with security but soon cleared that and then we enjoyed a light breakfast at the Lufthansa Lounge as Etihad share lounge facilities with them.

It was now time to head to our departure gate, Terminal 1B gate 60B is now etched in to our memories. It was like boarding a plane from a tin shed and it was a free for all to just board a bus to our departure point. I should say that Etihad do not have staff in Frankfurt and use a third party to herd their customers. The few announcements made were all in German but we soon found a fellow traveler who could interpret the announcements. On to the bus to board the plane, or so we thought, after we climb steps back in to the terminal to then go to an airbridge and on to the plane.

On the plane we were greeted by the Cabin Manager, unfortunately for him he asked Vicki how her morning has been and she told him exactly what we thought of their ground crew. He was very apologetic and did come and see us in flight on numerous occasions but on one he took our details and was going to pass our comments on to Etihad and they'd be in touch. Suffice to say cabin service took on a whole new meaning on the leg to Abu Dhabi with drinks constantly topped up and we were really taken care of. We didn't make these comments for this reason we just wanted to make sure Etihad knew what their third party was doing to their brand.

Our stopover at Abu Dhabi was a lot nicer than on the way over. We had priority passes through security and unlike the herding experience on the way over this was far nicer and more like what we expected on our outward journey. We had Ross Greenwood, channel 9 finance reporter sitting behind us in the lounge, sitting behind us in the lounge at Abu Dhabi where we enjoyed a snack prior to the long leg to Sydney. Once we boarded the plane and just got settled in to our seats one of the cabin crew came up and asked if we would mind moving seats. We were seated in the row in front of the toilets and they had an elderly passenger in a wheelchair who needed to sit closer to the toilet than their assigned seats. Of course we moved seats and the elderly husband of the lady in the wheelchair so grateful.

The flight to Sydney was uneventful till around thirty minutes out of Sydney. We hit turbulence from a storm that was lashing Sydney. The A380 was bouncing around like it was a trampoline as was everything we'd consumed on the flight, if you know what we mean. Wayne started turning a funny shade of green with sweat lathering him drenching his shirt. Vicki made that fatal mistake when someone is about to wear their lunch and asked "are you ok?" Wayne's response was along the lines of "do I look ok?" We were
Welcome homeWelcome homeWelcome home

Mid 30s and humidity in Europe to Spring in Robertson
grateful for a number of things that fateful Friday early evening, firstly the wheels hit the ground and secondly Wayne didn't wear his lunch (just). Thank you to the Etihad Crew who came to the rescue with cold towels for Wayne.

Time to clear Customs and Immigration but first the crush to find our luggage on the carousel. Now an A380 holds around 600 people (give or take), well each one of those (except Vicki) were lined up three deep around the carousel with their waiting luggage trolleys right behind them. Good luck to anyone coming in after took up their positions. Wayne found a gap and reclaimed our luggage but not before witnessing Vicki's hard suitcase doing damage to a number of knees as it barged its way through the gathered throng. Customs and Immigration was a breeze and it was now off to find a taxi to take us to Wayne's work where his car awaited for the two hour drive home.

The taxi ride was interesting. All through Europe our drivers knew where they were going but not our man in Sydney. Do you know where the Holiday Inn in Mascot is, Wayne asked the driver. My first time at International can you guide me. Wayne turned in to a GPS unit and guided our driver straight to where we needed to be. Up to the car park, into his car and soon Wayne is back loading us in to the car for the drive home. Enroute we had a call from David, our lovely house and dog sitter, to see what time we'd be home, he'd been holding off feeding Misty and Holly so we could when we got home. Once on the freeway we phoned our local, Pizzas in the Mist, and placed a phone order for a pick up just before they close, no dramas for these guys they're the best!

Armed with our pizza we arrived home around 9pm. Misty and Holly were glad to see us, but happier to see their food bowls full. David had opted to not stay that night and as he was gone, Misty and Holly finished their dinner and went straight out the front to wait for him. It took them about a day to realise who we were but they were in good health and spirits and we just knew David would take great care of them and our house.

And that our blog readers is that. We hope you've enjoyed reading about our holiday as much as we've enjoyed living the dream. Till next time!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb