Day 1 Christchurch to Nelson


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
March 16th 2020
Published: June 16th 2021
Edit Blog Post

After checking out of the Sudima Hotel, near Christchurch Airport, we were away in our faithful RAV 4 (thank you Rodney) headed to Nelson. The staff at the Sudima are first class, always friendly and very helpful. Wayne had been there for the four nights prior and Vicki met him there on Thursday.



The roads in New Zealand, if this one is anything to go by, are organized not overly busy and motorists who are generally cruising along enjoying the scenery. Our first stop is at Hanmer Springs around 2 hours North of Christchurch. A really pretty almost alpine like village filled with touristy shops, cafes and friendly locals. There was a market in town as well as a big gathering of Ducati motor bikes, more about them later. After a coffee and a walk around town we were away again on our adventure.



Our next stop was at Lewis Pass junction, only because by then it was lunchtime. Enroute to Lewis Pass junction we were passed by dozens of the Ducati's we saw in Hanmer Springs.The eatery was an old motel, something akin to something out of the Bates Motel of Psycho fame, that
Christchurch CathedralChristchurch CathedralChristchurch Cathedral

Under Restoration
had a café attached. Sandwiches and iced coffee hit the spot but not somewhere you'd rush back to anytime soon.



From Lewis Pass Junction we headed for our final destination today, Nelson. We stopped at Maruia Falls, while not hundreds of metres high the 10 or 15 metres was ample with the teal blue water cascading over the falls. Its a very gentle 200 metre walk down to the viewing area and well worth it.



After leaving around 9am we arrived in Nelson around 4:30pm. It's a beautiful drive but a word of warning for the unknowing this is not for the faint hearted. It is a very long drive, dual carriageway from Christchurch Airport for the first 30 minutes but then after that it is one lane each way with many varying speed limits, many of which are unsigned, and plenty of roadworks ranging from resurfacing to complete landslips. Also many changes in gradient, from lovely flat plains through to cuttings and blind crests and corners. There are also plenty of mobile roadblocks otherwise known as motor homes and caravans.



We arrived at the Nelson Big Sky B&B to its
Christchurch CathedralChristchurch CathedralChristchurch Cathedral

Under Restoration
impressive views from around 200 metres above the water below facing due West. Our host, Avner, gave us a rundown on places to eat at as well as somewhere to do some laundry on Sunday. On Avner's recommendation we ate at a lovely restaurant called Lobster and Cod in Nelson city. As is the NZ way the staff were very knowledgeable and very polite and friendly. We enjoyed the seafood platter for two and desserts of espresso parfait (Wayne) and goats cheese and a very overpowering peppery chutney (Vicki). Wayne definitely won the dessert challenge.



Tomorrow we'll be exploring the Tasman district and all it has to offer (after a spot of laundry of course).


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Appleby, NelsonAppleby, Nelson
Appleby, Nelson

On our way to BigSky BnB - are we there yet?
BigSky BnB NelsonBigSky BnB Nelson
BigSky BnB Nelson

The White House about 1/4 from the top with a smaller white cottage just below is our home for the next few days.


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb