Bern to Frankfurt


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse
June 9th 2015
Published: June 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Andrew and I enjoyed our last morning in Bern wandering the market, walking by the river, and riding the tram into west Bern just to see more of the city. While Bern may not have had the flash of Rome or Milan, it was beautiful (so green!), tranquil and relaxing. It was also sad to say goodbye to Laura and Olivia, but we are looking forward to the next adventure.



As we entered Germany, noticed it looks a lot like Oklahoma...if Oklahoma had German architecture. Trees and grass looked the same. Many farms with fields of crops, pastures full of cows, and pens of horses.



The ctrl key fell off my tablet keyboard. Don't know what you got til it's gone.



We arrived in Frankfurt a little after 1700. What a contrast from Bern. It is very urban, with skyscrapers, bustling crowds, tons of traffic, and all the sounds of a large city. I read an online description of Frankfurt as Germany's Manhatten, and that was spot on to me.



Our hotel, the Star Inn Centrum, is only a 10 minute walk from the train station. The room is exactly what I expected in Germany: small and spartan but very clean and efficient; not a speck of wasted space.



The manager recommended a restaurant in Old Town, which is only two subway stops away. The restaurant, zum Storch am Dom, serves German food that is unbelievable!!! Andrew and I shared cream of asparagus soup, weiner schnitzel with fried potatoes, and sausages with saurkraut. I don't even like saurkraut, and I thought it was incredible. For dessert we shared apple strudel in vanilla sauce and fresh strawberries in whipped cream. Wow, wow, wow...again. Tonight reaffirmed my belief that the primary reason for travelling is eating.



Speaking of travel, today's trip left Andrew and I really tired. This was the first train trip that was wearing.We are going to sleep now so we can start seeing the sights tomorrow morning. Auf wiedersehen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb