Greetings from Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin
September 5th 2006
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Angelo and BenAngelo and BenAngelo and Ben

Angelo and Ben joined me for lunch outside checkpoint charlie
Geo: 52.5235, 13.4115

ive got around about 25minutes on the net, here in Berlin. Its 7.10pm and im jaded from walking all around the city today. Its a really beautiful city. Ive just visted the Paragon museum or something like that, which had stacks of artifacts from ancient civilisations. Also today ive been on a guided tour around the streets and seen things like the Reichstad, Brandenbourg Gate, Charlies Checkpoint, the site of Hitlers bunker, Holocaust Memorial and much more. Theres a sorta aussie vibe to this place, much unlike amsterdam. The people are apparently very laid back, and almost sorta reserved. Ive been taking stacks of photos. though i still dont have the time or means to upload em. i will try some more, but will definatley be able to when i arrive back in london in a couple weeks.
im loving traveling, the group im with is fair good!! there are only6 guys in this group of 33 which is an interesting situation. Im not sure what to make of it.
Anyway time to make my way to Joes beer hall to meet the group.. wherever that place is. im dying for a few pints.
Almost out of time here again.. im sorry
Another part of the wallAnother part of the wallAnother part of the wall

yeah, well theres much more shots i have of the wall, but three is enough. some of the artwork is really cool.
im getting no time to write anything really amusing. please keep the comments coming, i do read em all.. and next time ill try to reply to some via email.
Kris 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Bombed ChurchBombed Church
Bombed Church

A bombed out Jewish church, nearby the place we were supposed to meet for dinner and drinks. I spent hours walking around this damn thing tryna find Joes Beer Hall
Brandenbourg GateBrandenbourg Gate
Brandenbourg Gate

A shot of Brandenbourg gate during the day, coming down the main street of Berlin; Under den Linden.
Central BerlinCentral Berlin
Central Berlin

hmmm dont quote me on this one, but i think this is Bebel Platz square. This is the area where thousands of "misguided" books were burned by the Nazi party during the onset of WW2. There is a little monument here to signify this.
Checkpoint CharlieCheckpoint Charlie
Checkpoint Charlie

One of the few checkpoints/crossings between East and West Germany during the period the wall was in place.
Communist FarceCommunist Farce
Communist Farce

Well this is the remnants of the building the Communists of East Germany decided to build to impress the rest of the area. It was a prominent Government buidling. Now, noted as too hideous to be allowed to stand.
Holocaust MemorialHolocaust Memorial
Holocaust Memorial

A memorial to commemorate the millions of ethnic minorities exterminated during WW2. Its interesting to note, that the element of shame still lies in the air somewhat. this monument is meant to represent the many coffins of the deceased. however it is not marked or official in any way..
Joes Beer HallJoes Beer Hall
Joes Beer Hall

Group shot at Joes beer hall. i look evil in the back right there. i prob was, as id been wandering around aimlessly for hours.
Pergamon MuseumPergamon Museum
Pergamon Museum

Supposively THE main museum in all of Germany. Named after the ancient greek Pergamon Altar inside. Also contained stacks of great relics from a variety of ancient civilisations; Greek, Roman, Hitite, Babylonian and Islam
The Altes MuseumThe Altes Museum
The Altes Museum

Major museum in Berlin. Current exhibit included a variety of Egypitan pieces. sadly didnt get time to go in here..
The Berlin WallThe Berlin Wall
The Berlin Wall

Artwork on the remnants of the Berlin wall.
The Berliner DomThe Berliner Dom
The Berliner Dom

A shot of the Berliner Dom during our walking tour of Berlin. the walking tour was quite cool, and educating.
The Brandenburg Gate (Night)The Brandenburg Gate (Night)
The Brandenburg Gate (Night)

A shot of the Brandenbourg Gate at night, our first glimpses of Berlin. Alot of the monuments we saw at night looked really impressive all lit up.
The Little Green ManThe Little Green Man
The Little Green Man

A notably whack part of Berlin. East Germany always designed their little traffic light man a little bit different. he looks a bit oldschool, and has a little hat on and still remains today in parts of Berlin
The Pergamon AltarThe Pergamon Altar
The Pergamon Altar

me actually standing in front of the Pergamon Altar. Theres so many shots i have of this area, but ul have to wait to see em later.
The Rijkstad (Night)The Rijkstad (Night)
The Rijkstad (Night)

A shot of the Rijkstad at night. unfortunatley its pretty dark. this is an important building in the history of Berlin government. theres a really cool dome up top, with nice views over the city.. not that id know. quewes sucked too bad to get up there.
Tofor Berlin WallTofor Berlin Wall
Tofor Berlin Wall

This is me standing in front of the Berlin Wall
Victory MonumentVictory Monument
Victory Monument

The Victory Monument. Hitler had planned to have his victorious soldiers march from this monument down the Strasse den 17 Juni, all the way upto the Brandeborg gate.


6th September 2006

Helsinki is neat and tidy Sounds like your having a ball Kris. We just arrived in Helsinki today. Its ten to four in the morning and were so jetlagged- we cant sleep. When are you getting to rome? We're there this weekend. Are we still re
ndezvouing? -clinto & shaza

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb