Christmas Market Day 2....


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Nuremberg (aka Nürnberg)
December 4th 2019
Published: December 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Christmas Market Day 2....

WOW, I wake up to someone rubbing my foot, it’s Kirsten. She smiles and says good morning sleepy head. I rollout of bed and get ready for another day of chasing after St Nicolaus.

As I walk from my room to the kitchen, the aroma of German coffee is leading me all the way to an awesome German breakfast. Everyone is sitting around the table talking about yesterday and where we’re going and what we’re doing today. Me... I’m smiling knowing all I need to do is get my navigational orders keyed it into the MAPS and operate the Apple Car app. And you thought I was important, LOL.

Today we will be visiting two Christmas Markets. The first one is Bamberg, our second is Nuremburg. Lots of driving today, however the Nuremburg Market is the largest and best according to Rick Steve’s. Me, I’ll give you my best at the end of the blog.

LOL we’re all dressed in as many layers as possible except Sam, he is totally enjoying the cold weather and likes running around in his t-shirt. I’ll try to get a picture. I make my way to the car, I jump inside, it’s running but it’s still cold. The windows are totally frosted over. I turn and look at Kirsten, she’s hands me the ice scraper. Kirsten says, you’re the only one trained to use this device. I shake my head and step out of the car and start scraping the frost from all the windows. I haven’t done this since the paper route days, Sam looks at me smiling and says, this is awesome. I look back and say not even NO but @#*$S% NO!

Finally, the windows are clear I’m back in the car my hands are frozen, I’m rubbing them together trying to create any heat I can.

Kirsten is pulling out of the driveway and asks can you get Bamberg keyed into Maps and while you’re at it, can you get some Christmas music playing? With my icicle fingers I’m pecking at my iPhone screen and it’s only responding every two to three pecks.

The address for Bamberg in, Christmas music is playing, everyone is happy and singing along with the music.

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle All the way............

After 45 minutes of riding leisurely along the Autobahn, NOT! We arrive in Bamberg, now we’ve been here few times. There is this cute castle up on a hill, there is a bridge over the river, what river, it doesn’t matter it ends with INE.... You can look it up if you really want to know.

Kirsten parks in the Centrum parking garage, we all pile out and up the stairs we go.

Again, Lori spots the Gluewine booth, she’s taking care of old dad, we head directly to it. This time we get just a couple of cups and share.

Ok, remember the previous blog I told you they are all the same. Ok, were here, I’m not going to explain market after market mainly because they are the same. Omi, Kirsten and Lori are having a fabulous time visiting the booth checking out all the different crafts and wares they are selling, Ornaments, Hats, scarfs, you name it they have it with a Christmas theme.

Sam and I are testing and sampling any and all types alcoholic beverage along the way. Sam is good at this. I like traveling with Sam, oh yeah and Lori of course.

Back into the car and off we go to Nuremberg. This Market is HUGE, the largest, it’s UBER you get the idea LARGE. Again, we park in the centrum parking garage, up the stairs we go, out the door and around the corner and there it is the Mother of All Christmas Markets aka “MOACM”.

It’s 4 pm the Christmas Angel is coming out of the cathedral; she is escorted to the stage and every one’s eyes are watching. Little children are all standing and sitting around her, staring up at her, hanging on every word. The Angel keeps track of all the little boys and girls, good and bad, kind of like the Elf on the Shelf.

The crowd is huge, and every nationality is here. I had no idea that all these nationalities were God Fearing Christians celebrating Christ’s birth. I get it now, they’re here to drink and party, sorry baby JC. I’m thinking the Germans should run the world, I like the way they party, they get it.

The sun has gone down, Nuremburg is glowing, I’m sure the Space Station can see us and is having a cup Gluewine with us. We have dinner in Nuremburg’s famous restaurant where the Nuremburg bratwurst were created. We have a wonderful meal and walk around the Christmas Market some more before climbing back into our rocket and heading home.

I almost forgot, we found the largest Feuerzangenbowle booth, it’s located by the river and it’s Huge. We squeeze in with all the other locals and enjoy another glass.

Once back home we bring out all of our goodies, showing each other what we bought. Again, it’s like Christmas morning and we get to do it all over again tomorrow.

Good night


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



8th December 2019

It's just beautiful!
Everything! Wish Ossie and I could join you but we don't speak German...yet.

Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 32; dbt: 0.107s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb