Last Day of the Eastern European Jaunt


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Fussen
January 1st 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another New Year and one last chance to enjoy German hospitality, food and beer. Too bad that this is a holiday and not many places are expected to be open for business. Nevertheless we got out of bed before nine primarily because we had booked this particular place due of its location and buffet breakfast. The breakfast room was indeed huge and there were a number of tables with breakfast foo... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

I Think We'll Just Stay Outside Where It's WarmerI Think We'll Just Stay Outside Where It's Warmer
I Think We'll Just Stay Outside Where It's Warmer

The little chapel in the Ettal Abbey is a beautiful example of Rococo art, but we had seen it on our previous trip and I was a little concerned about not having enough time to see some of the other sights in the area. As we learned later when going into the Wieskirche, the insides of these old churches wasn't much of a refuge from the elements.
That's A Lot of SnowThat's A Lot of Snow
That's A Lot of Snow

Considering we were less than two weeks into Winter, it was amazing how much snow had already piled-up. It was everywhere and it seemed to constantly fall in flurries. And last Winter they were so convinced it was global warming?
Our Salvation at the AbbeyOur Salvation at the Abbey
Our Salvation at the Abbey

We were just about ready to leave Ettal having to settle for at least tasting the Abbey beer but not being able to take any home, when Tyler and Gen discovered a little shop that stocked beers from all over Bavaria. They didn't have Ettal Bier but they had a mini keg from the Weihenstephan Brewery. It made the trip home with us.
Inside the WieskircheInside the Wieskirche
Inside the Wieskirche

Leaving Ettal we then drove up to the next-door town of Oberammergau. It was dead. Nobody seemed to venture out of their homes that day. Since that was also the furthest point from our hotel in Fussen, we opted to move on. Next step was the Wieskirche - a shrine church pretty much in the middle of nowhere.
Tell Me This Ain't OrnateTell Me This Ain't Ornate
Tell Me This Ain't Ornate

Considering it's distant location from any major city or even from a little hamlet, the opululence and bauty of this place is truly incredible. Yes, we've been here many times, but each time I see things I never noticed before. Part of the reason is the different ways light comes streaming through the windows.
He's Watching MeHe's Watching Me
He's Watching Me

This was another one of those artworks where the guys seemed to be looking at me no matter where I moved. It could also be my guilty concious since the only time you catch me in a church is when I'm vacationing in Europe.
The Blurry PulpitThe Blurry Pulpit
The Blurry Pulpit

Why can't I take decent indoor pictures? I probably took 40 pictures inside the Wieskirche using various speeds, apertures and with and without flash, but they turned out very disappointing. It's true that I have far too many church interior pictures as it is, but I would like to be able to get consistently clear shots. That Gorillapod might help.
The Ceiling of the WieskircheThe Ceiling of the Wieskirche
The Ceiling of the Wieskirche

Evey inch of this little church is a work of art. You'd never get me up that hight to paint the ceiling. And imagine that they were using much more primitive scaffolding and equipment.
This Bothered MeThis Bothered Me
This Bothered Me

I was the only one that found this tourist dragging her dog through the church disturbing. At least he didn't poop inside.
It Looks So Warm and Inviting...It Looks So Warm and Inviting...
It Looks So Warm and Inviting...

..but it was freezing inside. How did people sit through this old-time hours-long services?
Exploring the Wies near the WieskircheExploring the Wies near the Wieskirche
Exploring the Wies near the Wieskirche

On the far side of the Wieskirche a path leads out to the big meadow that gives the church its name. It wasn't the smartest idea I ever had walking out here with sneakers. My feet didn't warm-up again until we got back to the hotel. As soon as I got home I ordered hiking boots from Cabella's.
The Best of BudsThe Best of Buds
The Best of Buds

Now that Tyler is out of the house and she hardly sees him, Cassie and Tyler have become friends again. They hardly ever hit each other any more (or any less). Just kidding. Actually Cassie really enjoys hanging with Gen and Tyler just happens to be along for the ride.
What a Bunch of PosersWhat a Bunch of Posers
What a Bunch of Posers

To demonstrate how dumb we are, we stood around in the snow freezing to death and taking pictures of each other. No wonder we desperately needed to utilize the toilet facilities when we got back to the parking lot.
Lights on the LechLights on the Lech
Lights on the Lech

When we returned to our hotel in Fussen we were almost immediately roused from our naps by a loud commotion outside our balcony windows. These obviously inebriated knuckleheads were wading down the river brandishing torches. Perhaps they were hunting for Dr. Frankenstein?
Wackjobs in the River and the Wannabees That FollowWackjobs in the River and the Wannabees That Follow
Wackjobs in the River and the Wannabees That Follow

As the villagers carried their torches downriver, friends and family joined them in song as they headed away from us. I am unable to learn anything else about this wierd ritual on the internet. I don't know if this is an ancient rite or something a couple of drunks concocted that afternoon.
Fireworks Over FussenFireworks Over Fussen
Fireworks Over Fussen

A few minutes after the revelers disappeared around the river bend, a firece and protracted fireworks show took place outside our rooms. It went on for 15 minutes. Very impressive for a rather tiny little town.
The Euros Sure Love Their PyrotechnicsThe Euros Sure Love Their Pyrotechnics
The Euros Sure Love Their Pyrotechnics

I don't why it is, but no matter where we travel in Europe at New Year's, the Europeans go absolutely bonkers with fireworks on New Year's Eve on through New Year's Day. It's a constant barrage of flashes and booms. Sleeping at night is nearly impossible. They set the stupid things off all day and night. I guess it's because they don't own firearms to shoot off like we Americans do.
A Walk Along the RiverA Walk Along the River
A Walk Along the River

Once the fireworks ended and we realized it was time for dinner, all of us except Cassie decided we were hungry. This would be our last meal for awhile in our favorite country. We were not sure what we might find open on New Year's night but we decided to follow the river until we came to the center of town.
Maybe My Favorite Photo of the Entire TripMaybe My Favorite Photo of the Entire Trip
Maybe My Favorite Photo of the Entire Trip

It was obviously purely by accident that I took a night photo that came out. I took this right after we turned perpendiculary away from the river and into the town of Fussen. Althought the streets were magnificently illuminated, they were totally deserted. It was eerie walking through this unfamiliar place with another snowstorm coming down upon us. We took a right here and ended-up in a little square with a couple of restuarnats open for business.
German RavioliGerman Ravioli
German Ravioli

My German-English menu translator interprets "Maultaschen" as flat pasta wrapped around minced meats (often the offal) and vegetables. I'm no Anthony Bourdain so I stayed away from them for these many years. But since the menu in the Gasthaus zum Schwanen indicated that theirs was stuffed with bacon, onions and spinach, I decided to give it a try. It was fantastic. I only wish they offered me seconds.
ThatThat
That

Gail ordered a Naturschnitzel not really knowing what it was. I don't think it was what she expected but she didn't complain either. She let me have part of that dumpling. It really sucked-up the gravy. I regretted it the next day. Meanwhile, you can see her Mom ordered a couple of mini-sausages with sauerkraut.



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 15; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb