After forty plus years we finally make it to the top


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Berchtesgaden
May 6th 2018
Published: September 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

The realization that our trip was almost over hit me this morning. Only two more days of sightseeing. We needed to make the most of it. Therefore I started the day off with twohard roll breakfast sandwiches. I piled a slice of each of the four different cheeses as well as a slice of all three different meats on my roll and smeared both halves with a liberal application of butter. Combined with the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Where eagles dareWhere eagles dare
Where eagles dare

This guy was in the process of dive bombing something but moved so fast we couldn't see whether he succeeded or not. Hunting must've been good because there were plenty of his brethren buzzing around.
Finally I get one in the center of the shotFinally I get one in the center of the shot
Finally I get one in the center of the shot

Trying to take pictures of these guys is like playing a video game. You have to be lightning quick and a good guesser because they change direction so easily.
Back down the mountainBack down the mountain
Back down the mountain

Our return bus ride took us back through another layer of clouds. It seemed like it was destined to be an ugly day back on Earth but by noon there was barely a cloud in the sky.
Searching for some summer sledding action but this is hard coreSearching for some summer sledding action but this is hard core
Searching for some summer sledding action but this is hard core

We looked all over the Obersalzburg for the Sommer Rodelbahn track that was supposed to be in Berchtesgaden. Our GPS unit indicated it was here but instead we found the headquarters for the German Olympic bobsled team. Maybe the BMW sponsorship threw our car's Sat Nav off a bit.
Entrance to the system for the anti-aircraft defense and communications centerEntrance to the system for the anti-aircraft defense and communications center
Entrance to the system for the anti-aircraft defense and communications center

Our quest to find the alpine rollercoaster took us to the other end of the mountain right below the site of where Hitler's Berghof home once stood. Hidden away off a narrow little road we stumbled upon this part of the intricate underground bunker system. It connected to miles of corriders leading to the bomb shelters of major Nazi party members living in Berchtesgaden.
Another part of the old Nazi complex on the ObersalzbergAnother part of the old Nazi complex on the Obersalzberg
Another part of the old Nazi complex on the Obersalzberg

Now a country club after the US military recreation center closed, this area began life as an experimental farm that the Gestapo built with the intent of raising enough food to feed everyone in Hitlerland. Like most of the Nazi's ambitious projects, it failed miserably.
For a minute I thought we found itFor a minute I thought we found it
For a minute I thought we found it

Alas, the ski school did have chairlifts but none were operating and there were no other signs of the Rodelbahn being in this area. The next day when we left Berchtesgaden we figured out that the chairlift to the Rodelbahn was at the bottom of the mountain and apparently closed for the season.
Spinach SpätzleSpinach Spätzle
Spinach Spätzle

I couldn't finish this delicious "snack". So much cheesy goodness.
Behind the scenesBehind the scenes
Behind the scenes

This is the opposite side view of this major tourist site. See if you can guess what the more famous photo spot looks like.
Just another Sunday walk in the parkJust another Sunday walk in the park
Just another Sunday walk in the park

As we walked through the narrow street of Ramsau we encountered this group returning from church then heading out for a walk in the countryside.
Why would you need a pool when you have this in your backyard?Why would you need a pool when you have this in your backyard?
Why would you need a pool when you have this in your backyard?

I'd be in those freezing cold creek waters anytime the temperature went over 80 degrees. Clean, fresh mountain water with an extremely strong current.
Something to keep in mindSomething to keep in mind
Something to keep in mind

All over Bavaria little places like this rent out rooms and include a free breakfast at rates significantly lower than hotels. Often you can get a nice ultra-clean private room and bath with a fabulous breakfast for under $40 a night. The catch is that you either book online sight unseen or wait until you get to Germany where you take a chance that the room is unavailable. Sometimes you have complete privacy. Sometimes you sleep nest door to the homeowner and share the same bathroom.
Here's the photo we all know and loveHere's the photo we all know and love
Here's the photo we all know and love

This scene is depicted on postcards, travel guides, jigsaw puzzles, travel posters and souvenirs. It's photographed during all 4 seasons and looks beautiful every time. This was the first time we saw the church without snow.
Another WWII memorialAnother WWII memorial
Another WWII memorial

This plaque is just outside the walls of Ramsau's church cemetery. As the tide turned against Germany the numbers greatly increased.
Inside the graveyard of Ramsau's St. Sebastian's churchInside the graveyard of Ramsau's St. Sebastian's church
Inside the graveyard of Ramsau's St. Sebastian's church

This is the most amazing and artistic graveyard I've ever experienced. And the exhibits seem to change each time we visit.



2nd September 2018

We stayed at the General Walker Hotel...
it is terrible that they tore it down! The hotel had many tunnels under it.
2nd September 2018

Never had the privelege
My Air Force career was spent in the great states of California and Texas plus 8 years with the PA Air National Guard. In basic training I made the mistake of letting it be known that I desperately wanted to be posted overseas. Hence, I spent my time Stateside. The military way. Those AFRC facilities were so cool. I am still jealous of all those that got to use them and to experience living in Europe.

Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 87; dbt: 0.1351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb