After forty plus years we finally make it to the top


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Berchtesgaden
May 6th 2018
Published: September 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

The realization that our trip was almost over hit me this morning. Only two more days of sightseeing. We needed to make the most of it. Therefore I started the day off with twohard roll breakfast sandwiches. I piled a slice of each of the four different cheeses as well as a slice of all three different meats on my roll and smeared both halves with a liberal application of butter. Combined with the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Looks familiarLooks familiar
Looks familiar

Actually I remember this gravestone from earlier trips. Each time I see it I do a double take because the picture looks like my high school German teacher.
Absolutely beautifully decoratedAbsolutely beautifully decorated
Absolutely beautifully decorated

Friends and family continue to honor their dead with fresh cut flowers and burning oil lamps at the graves sides.
The parish church of St. SebastianThe parish church of St. Sebastian
The parish church of St. Sebastian

It's easier to simply call it "Ramsau's church".
Another gorgeous day in BavariaAnother gorgeous day in Bavaria
Another gorgeous day in Bavaria

Look closely to the mountains in the background though. Clouds still hang over the Obersalzberg and Kehlsteinhaus.
Delicious fresh waterDelicious fresh water
Delicious fresh water

I don't know if this water came from the creek running through town or from a spring but when I took a drink from the spigot it was freezing cold and tasted as good as any bottled water I've ever had. The hollowed out tree trough is pretty cool too.
One of many electric boats plying the waters of the KönigseeOne of many electric boats plying the waters of the Königsee
One of many electric boats plying the waters of the Königsee

These boats cross the long lake to take passengers to Sankt Bartholomä church and the hiking trails climbing up the Watzmann. I'm not sure why we decided not to take a ride this time but we found plenty of other things to see otherwise.
One more boat comes inOne more boat comes in
One more boat comes in

In the background you can see some of the many boat garages on this end of the lake.
So calm but so smelly tooSo calm but so smelly too
So calm but so smelly too

Walking down to the narrowest part of the Königsee we arrived at a small dam that controlled the water levels of the lake. Piled up behind the dam was all kinds of rotting vegetation and dead fish. The stench was overwhelming. The whole northern tip of the lake reeked.
Dam stinky hereDam stinky here
Dam stinky here

On the opposite side of the lake where I could finally breath again we looked back at the little town where the shops and restaurants were. Here you can see the tiny dam that was holding back all the dead garbage trying to float out of the lake.
Spring has sprung in BavariaSpring has sprung in Bavaria
Spring has sprung in Bavaria

As much as I enjoy visiting Bavaria around Christmastime when all the decorations and snow make things feel so "Chistmassy", I think that early Spring is the absolute best time to visit. Beautiful weather, smaller crowds and locals that are not yet fed-up with the constant flow of visitors make early May ideal.
World Championship trackWorld Championship track
World Championship track

The Königsee track has hosted many international sledding events including the 2016 Luge and 2017 Skeleton world championships.
Want some ice?Want some ice?
Want some ice?

The sledding season was long gone but the permanent forms for the ice track are permanent. They should use this track for Sommer Rodelbahn.
The perfect spot for sipping a few beersThe perfect spot for sipping a few beers
The perfect spot for sipping a few beers

Back in the little shopping district we grabbed a waterfront table in the Zum Schiffmeister's Biergarten. For the most part the stink of decay stayed downwind.
Returning touristsReturning tourists
Returning tourists

Before long the never ending flotilla of travelers returning from the opposite side of the lake began. Each boat was full of people.
The Russian touristsThe Russian tourists
The Russian tourists

The big guy in gray was fired up about something. He had to be mollified by his female companions but seethed until he finally left the table looking for Schnapps.
The angry Russian is off shopping while his family finishes their mealsThe angry Russian is off shopping while his family finishes their meals
The angry Russian is off shopping while his family finishes their meals

But that doesn't slow down the tour group leader. She must've been having her first meal in a week.
We stayed here once...long agoWe stayed here once...long ago
We stayed here once...long ago

The Hotel Schiffmeister is almost always booked solid or is closed when we've visited in the past. One time Gail and I stayed here. It was kind of creepy being in the totally deserted town late at night.
Check out the rack on that thing!Check out the rack on that thing!
Check out the rack on that thing!

This was one of the unique decorations in the Zum Schiffmeister restaurant. Check out the old phone on the left side.



2nd September 2018

We stayed at the General Walker Hotel...
it is terrible that they tore it down! The hotel had many tunnels under it.
2nd September 2018

Never had the privelege
My Air Force career was spent in the great states of California and Texas plus 8 years with the PA Air National Guard. In basic training I made the mistake of letting it be known that I desperately wanted to be posted overseas. Hence, I spent my time Stateside. The military way. Those AFRC facilities were so cool. I am still jealous of all those that got to use them and to experience living in Europe.

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 24; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb