Touring the Schwarz Wald (Black Forest)


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Oppenau
July 20th 2019
Published: July 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

It’s 7 am and Kirsten is woken by the BIG noisy bus cranking up outside our room, me I hear nothing. Kirsten can’t fall back to sleep, so we’re up showered, dressed, packed and heading to breakfast.

I love my German breakfasts, soft boiled eggs, meats, cheeses, bread and coffee. I also love making a sandwich for later in the day. It’s the German way, maybe the Kirsten way...

We’re in the car and driving through the Black Forest, winding through the canopy of trees. Every turn is prettier than the last. We stop multiple times taking a break and sampling the beer.

Motorcycles are zipping around us and sporty cars with their tops down are cruising the roads with us. Everyone is out, the weather is beautiful and the temperature is perfect.

Around lunch time, we crest a hill and find another IMBIS (food Truck with no Wheels) with dozens of motorcycles and sport cars parked around it. Kirsten whips it into the gravel lot with our cool looking Ford station wagon. Yea, we’re so cool no one even looks up at us.

A few hours later and many turns and hills, we make it to our apartment. Kirsten has rented for us, it’s beautiful, it’s on a farm with animals. Yes, cow, sheep and I’m sure there is a donkey somewhere.

I step out of the car and take in the fresh air. Hmmm, the smell of farm manure.... that’s German for SHIT.

We unload the car; the key is in the door, now how cool it that. No one around, I hope this is the right place. I’m down for a nap while Kirsten explores the area.

An hour later, we’re walking up a trail Kirsten found, good thing we’ve been working out.

While on the walk, Kirsten tells me the village is having a fest, so of course we go and have dinner there.

What a fun time seeing all the locals out having fun. The apartment owners come by and say hi and welcome us. Kirsten is sprechen with all the Germans like she lives here, and they love her. Me... I’m at the beer tent asking for “ein Bier bitte”....

We have a festive dinner enjoying the music and watching the setting sun.

Off to bed we go.

Good night


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb