Rhine River Rafting Adventure – Day 3


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Baden-Württemberg » Heidelberg
June 4th 2016
Published: June 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Luminary at the dock in ManheimLuminary at the dock in ManheimLuminary at the dock in Manheim

Our floating hotel, as we go down the Rhine.
Today was a relaxing day in the morning. We were on the boat, docked, and after lunch, got on a bus around 1:30 to go to Heidelberg. A very nice town. It is on the Neckar River, which comes down from the step hills and merges with the Rhine. One of the bridge supports has records of the floods that occur, and with all the rain they have been having here, last Monday, the guide shows us some pictures she took, of cars that were parked on the road, with water up to the windows. Of course, we have seen that in the last months also in Houston, Austin, San Antonio and other cities in Texas.

We heard about Frederick I, his teenage bride Elizabeth who was 19 when they got married. We visited the castle, what’s left of it anyway. The venue is very popular for birthday parties, weddings, etc. There was a birthday party scheduled for today when we were there.

You could see that is was a nice castle in its day. The state is trying to keep up the stone and facade.

A walking tour of the city after the visit to the castle, allowed us to test the Debit card problem out that was “fixed” yesterday. YES, it was fixed. (Thank you J).

We had a little time before we had to be back on the bus, so we stopped for a local brew product.



Back on the bus at 6:00 and the trip back to the bus, with our tour guide describing all the surrounding sites. We got on the boat, and they cast off, and went down the river to Mainz for tomorrows schedule.-


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Wine barrelWine barrel
Wine barrel

The barrel holds 50,000 Gallons. However, it has never been filled and used with wine because it leaks. Because of it's size, it leaks.
Frederick I and Richard the Lion HeartedFrederick I and Richard the Lion Hearted
Frederick I and Richard the Lion Hearted

After walking, climbing and shopping in the crowds, a quite place seemed really nice.


Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb