Rhine River Rafting Adventure – Day 2


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Obernai
June 3rd 2016
Published: June 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Strasbourg to Obernai

Walking and canal tour in the morning and wine tasting in the afternoon.

Mr. Blanck telling us about his businessMr. Blanck telling us about his businessMr. Blanck telling us about his business

The trials and tribulations of the wine business, and how they carry on the family tradition.
Where to begin. The day seemed like we covered much ground, but really was just in Strasbourg.

Strasbourg is a unique town. Some of the people living there have had to change their nationality 4 times in their lives. These are old people. Strasbourg has been a French town now since the end of WWII. It was French, then German, then French, then German, now French.

They have a river that runs around the town, not so much in the mode of San Antonio, with shops for food places. These are buildings and places that are older than the US. The Alsace region is known for its wine and grape production. Some grain was raised by the farmers before they started making wine. The Romans had a tax office there, and the town was critical in that it was a crossroads of commerce, with all the political and cultural ramifications that come with it.

We spent the day in Strasbourg, touring and learning all about the town, and changes in nationality. Some time allotted for shopping, which was not a great experience, when you think your Debit card is going to work in Europe. When you call the
Wine CellarWine CellarWine Cellar

Some of the barrels are hundreds of years old. The youngest is 80 years old. The oldest was built in 1735, and is still being used. They take great pride in their product.
bank and tell them the dates you will be in Europe, and the towns you will be in, and they say OK, and ask for the towns again, (Zurich, Strasbourg, Heidelberg, Cologn, Amsterdam) and they ask where is that. You might figure the dots aren’t connected. They weren’t. After much frustration, trying ATM machines and shops, we figure we need to talk to someone. Using our kids in Houston as the link, we find out that yes, we were approved for Europe—the UK. Huh? We will see tomorrow.

In the afternoon, we took a bus ride to a little winery in Obernai. This is a family owned winery, small, only 50 acres of grapes, fields being spread over 42 km. The wine master shown in the picture is standing with his casks that his family has been using for hundreds of years. The youngest cast is about 80 years old. Wine tasting, and wine making education was a treat for us.



After this we went into the town of Obernai, which is a very quaint little town in the region. We didn’t shop but we did stop and get a brew made by the local Kronebourg
The 28th and 29th generation wine producersThe 28th and 29th generation wine producersThe 28th and 29th generation wine producers

The Blanck winery family. They are a small producer, and sell all they make to private buyers. Keeping the business small, and private keeps the product quality high.
brewery. A tasty ale, made from grains grown in the local environ. I didn’t find out which hops they used, but I’m sure they were local grown as well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Cathedral in StrasbourgCathedral in Strasbourg
Cathedral in Strasbourg

As a lot of the old churches, this one was built over forty years (1277 - 1318), and you will notice at the top, there is a spot for a second spire. The foundation couldn't handle it, so it couldn't be built. Money was short at that time also. It was the tallest building in the world for several hundred years (1647 - 1874).
The little sign identifies the local breweryThe little sign identifies the local brewery
The little sign identifies the local brewery

After the walking tour, we stopped in to sample the local brewers work.
Relaxing at the KronenbourgRelaxing at the Kronenbourg
Relaxing at the Kronenbourg

Testing out the local brewpub and the product produced.
Dinner on the boatDinner on the boat
Dinner on the boat

After our meal, we just kicked back and had a nice visit of the days activities, and tomorrows plans.


6th June 2016
The 28th and 29th generation wine producers

Day 2
looks like day 2 was great. I like the winery, pretty cool to think how old that place is and how many generations have passed on the family business.

Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0759s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb