A cultural day


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
June 4th 2012
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.7885, 4.83167

St.Remy is always worth a visit because of it's nice shops and side streets. I tried to find the house that Van Gogh painted but am not sure whether I did as the buildings have changed somewhat since his day. After lunch in the Cafe de la Place which serves huge salads and a very good rose wine we drove a short distance out of town to the Cloitre St.Paul. This was the Mental hospital to which Van Gogh voluntarily committed himself. There are lots of reproductions of his paintings but also some original photos and descriptions of the daily life of the hospital, which was very regimented and not too pleasant for the in mates. However Van Gogh was allowed a spare room to use as a studio while he was there and there is also the room he slept in. Lovely poppies and lavender grow in the garden and there is also the chapel attached to the hospital.
Next on our itinerary was Tarascon where there is a huge castle built in 1400 by Louis the Duke of Anjou. There are lots of steps up and down the various floors into large rooms with original coffered ceilings, huge fireplaces and even en suite loos ie. a hole in stone which was open a long way down to the river or moat below. There were also quirky art installations in some of the rooms. It is an impressive place and the views from the top are worth climbing all the steps for. There is also a bar opposite the castle so the weary can quench their thirst after the trip.
Back at Mas St.Antoine we lazed by the pool and later had a BBQ of steak and chicken and sat out side our gite until it was too cool to sit out.
Paul & Jane befriended a cat which was clearly lost and was really skinny but healthy and very clean and friendly so not a farm cat. The poor thing had got her paw caught in her collar which Ian cut off her. The plan was to take her to the local cat's home the following day. Meanwhile of course she was fed and watered and was happy to stay around. Ian & Pierre have a dog ,who found our left over steak a real treat. I kept forgetting that he only understands French when it comes to commands of "sit" etc And so ended another successful happy day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



5th June 2012

gosh is Stef really sitting outside for lunch?!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.523s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb