Happy Bastille Day!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
July 14th 2011
Published: July 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

First of all, thanks to Lady for taking over my blog job yesterday. It was kind of a lazy day for Bill and me. And I apologize for any discomfort that Lady and the Tramp experienced in the rain.

Today is July 14th, Bastille Day here in France, kinda the equivalent of our Fourth of July. Exactly five years ago we were in Carcasonnes watching the Tour de France in person, partying in the streets, and seeing the most amazing fireworks ever burst above the medieval city. Today we are celebrating a bit more quietly -- at least, so far.

We did indeed awaken to sunny skies, skies that vacillated between clouds and sun all day, with the temps never really warming up. An easy exit from Montbrison, some initially flat cycling and then we hit some short, steep climbs, nothing too taxing. Near the top of one such climb we passed a couple on a Bike Friday tandem with panniers. For those of you who know nothing about cycling, a Bike Friday is an American made, folding bike with 20 inch wheels and disc brakes. The first foldable tandem we've ever seen. They are from Switzerland and are biking the Loire Route, staying in chambre d'hotes along the way rather than camping, which they used to do.

We leapfrogged with them for a while -- they gaining the advantage on the downhills; us, on the climbs. We all stopped to marvel at a castle built right in the river. Later, we pulled ahead of them and did not see the couple again. We may, however, hear from them as Bill passed them one of our cards.

For several reasons, we decided to stop early today in spite of the good weather, a move that we may regret later this weekend when the rain returns. But, seeing a campground, we pulled in, got a site, took showers, washed out some laundry, checked email, and are now awaiting an exciting dinner. The campground owners are putting on a feast tonight, complete with sangria and karaoke. Price: 11.50 a person. They are expecting 43 of the campers to eat here; sure hope they have enough food; Bill and I are hungry.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.543s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb