Day 45 of our 'virtual 'bike ride. Castelnaudary to Villefranche de Lauragais 21.7 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
March 29th 2021
Published: March 29th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Still breezier than I would like but dry and the forecast is looking better for the rest of the week. Our route was through Chatburn, Sawley, Carters Lane, Gisburn, Rimington, Worston and home.

Our virtual journey would be heading west out of Castelnaudary on the Canal du Midi. Early in our journey we pass through the Seuil de Naurouze, or summit point of the canal, near to the Col de Naurouze, at an altitude of 190m. We then slowly start descending all day, lock by lock. To each side of the canal is agricultural land with cereals growing , livestock grazing and the odd field full of sunflowers.

Villefranche de Lauragais is a small farmimng town on the canal. The church of Notre-Dame de l'Assomption, dating from 1271, is built in brick-built Gothic style and features a turreted bell-tower, typical of the region. Next to the church, a hall with high arcades testifies to the commercial vitality of the city which was authorized by Louis XIV to organize a market every Friday and several annual fairs. This tradition lasted over the centuries and the city possessed up to six places for transactions of different types of goods and products (livestock, poultry, grain...).In the center of the town beautiful half-timbered houses dating from the 15th to the 17th century can still be seen and along the streets and alleys several buildings are worth a detour such as the castle and the water mill of Barelles.



Photos show the Canal du Midi.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb