Day 44 of our 'virtual 'bike ride. Carcassonne to Castelnaudary. 21.3 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
March 28th 2021
Published: March 28th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Amazingly we stayed dry this afternoon but the wind was horrendous.

Our route was Four Lane Ends, Barrow, Wiswell, Whalley, Mitton, Bashall Eaves, Waddington, Bashall Barn, and home by the Pigeries.

Our virtual journey would be leaving Carcassonne on the Canal du Midi. The Canal du Midi is a summit-level canal, and from Carcassonne it is slowly climbing up until the Seuil de Naurouze or summit level, which is beyond Castelnaudary, our destination tonight. We are on the canal all day in the shade of the plane trees. There are many barges on the canal and numerous canal boats hired by tourists. The landscape has becomes more pastoral with corn and sunflowers replacing vineyards. We have impressive views of the Black Mountains( Montagne Noire).

In reality on our journey in 2008 Castelnaudary was a lunch stop and we pleased to find a lovely picnic spot with covered benches so we could eat in the shade.

Castelnaudary is famous for cassoulet of which it claims to be the world capital, and of which it is a major producer. Cassoulet is a rich, slow-cooked casserole containing meat, pork skin and white beans. It is named after its traditional cooking vessel, the casserole, a deep, round, earthenware pot with slanting sides. Castelnaudary is also home to, The Grand Bassin, the largest body of open water along the Canal du Midi. It covers some 7 hectares (18 acres). Once a scene of intense economic activity, it is now a major pleasure port used by tourist craft. It holds the water reserve for the four locks of Saint-Roche.

We have now completed 1036 miles and have one more week to go.

Photos show the Canal du Midi and our lunch spot at Castelnaudary in 2011.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb