Day 46 of our 'virtual 'bike ride. Villefranche de Lauragais to Toulouse. 32.8 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
March 30th 2021
Published: March 30th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Wow, what a superb day. Lots of sunshine and no blinking wind. We went to Chipping via Cowark, Parsonage Lane, LTD for an early lunch, Ribchester, Billington and home via, Whalley, Barrow and Four Lane Ends. A little longer than some of our rides but such a nice day and had to justify the cafe stop.

Our virtual journey would be leaving Villefranche and staying on the Canal du Midi slowly descending all day. The canal begins to head north and right into the centre of Toulouse where it ends. The Garonne Canal then carries boats all the way to the Atlantic Ocean at Bordeaux.

Toulouse is the capital of the French department of Haute-Garonne and of the region of Occitanie. The city is on the banks of the River Garonne. It is the fourth-largest city in France. It was founded by the Romans, the city was the capital of the Visigothic Kingdom in the 5th century

The University of Toulouse is one of the oldest in Europe and, with more than 103,000 students, it is the fourth-largest university campus in France.

Toulouse counts three UNESCO World Heritage Sites: the Canal du Midi, and the Basilica of St. Sernin, the largest remaining Romanesque building in Europe, along with the former hospital Hôtel-Dieu Saint-Jacques because of their significance to the Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage route.

The city's unique architecture made of pinkish terracotta bricks has earned Toulouse the nickname La Ville Rose ("The Pink City").

We are now over our target mileage of 1071 miles but as we have managed to ride every day of the challenge so far we hope to continue until Easter Sunday. We have also raised over £2000 but there is still time if anyone can spare a little for the cause. Many thanks to those who have so generously donated already.

Photos show the Place des Capitole, Toulouse hotel d'ville, our hotel and the end of the Canal du Midi in Toulouse. All 2010.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.419s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb